[GPSCC-chat] Fwd: Prop 28 and Prop 29 / For Thursday's Meeting

Gerry Gras gerrygras at earthlink.net
Sun Apr 22 15:09:26 PDT 2012

My responses are below.

Gerry

WB4D23 at aol.com wrote:
> For Thursday's meeting. Deadline for decisions to be reported (by a
> County Council member) is Saturday April 28th. Warner

I don't understand this.  I agree in that I too oppose
term limits.  What I don't understand is why this change
is an improvement.  For someone who wants to only be in
the Assembly, this is an improvement.  But for someone
who wants to keep "moving up the ladder", and wants to be
in both the Assembly and the Senate, he/she has 2 LESS years.
(I will send a copy of this to Marnie and Richard and Greg Jan.)

> [...]
>     million dollars annually, and by adding one dollar per pack, Prop.
>     29 would more than double that. The same people who would pay this
>     tax are generally people who are already suffering from the effects
>     of tobacco. It's doubtful we can ever succeed in getting everyone to
>     quit smoking and another tax on cigarettes and all tobacco products
>     will only serve to put more stress and burden on those who smoke --
>     almost all of whom are part of the 99%.
>
>     Proposition 29 would create another politically-appointed
>     bureaucratic entity to administer these funds without any real
>     accountability. One of the most chilling things about Proposition 29
>     is the fact that if this tax goes into effect it has built in
>     immunity to any changes for the next 15 years.
>
>     While it's probably true (as the proponents argue), that increasing
>     the cost of cigarettes by about 25% would somewhat discourage
>     teenagers from starting to smoke, it should be noted that only a
>     small portion of the funds that are raised would actually go to
>     prevent people from (or help them to stop) smoking. Instead, the
>     bulk of the money will mostly subsidize highly paid researchers. If
>     Prop. 29 were truly serious about helping to prevent smoking, then
>     the bulk of the money would instead have been used for prevention
>     programs.
>
>     Finally, voters should be aware that the notorious Don Perata
>     (formerly leader of the State Senate) used this ballot measure as
>     one of the main vehicles to raise money to help him (indirectly)
>     with his 2010 campaign for Oakland Mayor. For example, in early
>     2010, Perata's state initiative campaign fund already had $700,000
>     in its accounts and it was sharing an office with his Mayor's
>     campaign -- and "the Don" was using some of that initiative money on
>     consultants who were also working on his Mayoral campaign, and on
>     mailers which publicized himself to Oakland voters, as well as on
>     fancy hotels and meals, etc. (See:
>     http://www.eastbayexpress.com/ebx/the-cancer-in-the-oakland-mayors-race/Content?oid=1600133.
>     And after Perata lost the Mayor's race to Jean Quan, he then paid
>     his friend, city council member Ignacio DeLaFuente, $12,000 to be a
>     "consultant" on the initiative campaign, etc.).
>
>     Of course, Perata calculated that it would be very unlikely that any
>     major group would (sympathetically) defend addicted smokers from a
>     tax increase on tobacco, and that (probably) only tobacco companies
>     would contribute much money to defeat it (which so far is the case),
>     so for the solid majority of voters, the "politically correct"
>     position is going to be to approve this proposition. Which means
>     that this could easily become a "hot potato" for the state Green
>     Party. Therefore, despite all of the reasons cited above for
>     defeating this proposition, "politically", it may well be smarter
>     for the state Green Party to just "stay out of it" -- and have "No

I don't understand this either.

I agree that this would be unfortunate for current smokers,
especially if it does not reduce their smoking.

On the other hand, smoking does cost society a lot in terms
of cancer and other illnesses.  Would not society benefit
from a higher cost?

As for researchers, I know nothing about the rationale for
spending money on the researchers.