[GPSCC-chat] winning an election

Jim Doyle j.m.doyle at sbcglobal.net
Tue Dec 4 09:58:06 PST 2012

Elizabeth Warren was elected to the US Senaate.
Here is how she did it (per a fundraising email):

Let's be clear: we won our election because we stuck to our values,
we talked about real issues, and we put our money where our mouth was --
into the grassroots and our Get Out the Vote program.

I couldn't be prouder of our effort. In the last four days before the
election,
our grassroots volunteers knocked on more than 600,000 doors.
On Election Day, more than 20,000 people volunteered and knocked on almost
400,000 doors. Those numbers are unlike any we've ever seen in
Massachusetts.

For example, we knew we would have to buy a LOT of coffee and pizza
all across the Commonwealth for our volunteers. After all, we've been
proud beyond
words to have one of the scrappiest, toughest grassroots armies ever
assembled in
Massachusetts or even the country -- and a grassroots army moves on
coffee and pizza.

But even our high expectations were shattered. Thousands more volunteers
showed up --
and that meant even more last-minute coffee and pizza.

And more people called in asking for help to get to the polls.
We were delighted, but it meant we needed to rent dozens more
vans to drive every last one of them to their voting places.