[GPSCC-chat] Climate Change News

Gerry Gras gerrygras at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 6 20:25:23 PST 2012

A number of climate change news recently.

   (Winona LaDuke spoke in at least 2 places)
- 350.org locally

- James Hanson critical of "cap and trade",
   prefers carbon tax
- article by Jill Stein
- article about James Inhofe
- article by Amy Goodman
- a letter to Chevron

- Chasing Ice - movie about glaciers

======== Do the Math Tour =======

Bill McKibben finished his Do the Math Tour
on Monday.  Some news at:
     http://math.350.org/
(Winona La Duke spoke at the Minneapolis and
Boulder events.)

The New York Times had an article about the tour:
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/05/business/energy-environment/to-fight-climate-change-college-students-take-aim-at-the-endowment-portfolio.html

========= Local 350 news ==========

A new group, 350 Bay Area was created:
http://www.350bayarea.org/ .
They had a meeting Tuesday.  I think it was the
first one ope to the public.  About 80 people
attended.  Info including pictures at:
     http://www.350bayarea.org/

They announced that there would be a 350 Silicon
Valley group.

========= James Hanson =========

James Hanson critical of "cap and trade",
prefers carbon tax:
http://blog.sfgate.com/energy/2012/12/05/climate-guru-slams-cap-and-trade/

========= Common Dreams News ==========

"Mother Nature Belongs at the Bargaining Table"
"Throwing the nation over the climate cliff will make our current fiscal
challenges look like a minor bump in the road."
by Jill Stein

"Climate Skeptic Sen. Inhofe Makes Surprise Appearance at COP18"
"Accuses Obama of 'handing over billions to UN in the name of global
warming'"
     http://www.commondreams.org/headline/2012/12/06-12

"A Carbon Tsunami in Doha"
by Amy Goodman

"A Letter To Chevron’s CEO: Your Business Is Creating A Climate
‘Incompatible With An Organized Global Community’"

================= "Chasing Ice" ===============

The "Chasing Ice" movie (about disappearing glaciers)
is out now:
http://www.chasingice.com/see-the-film/showtimes-2/

Berkeley - NOW
San Jose - NOW
Palo Alto - 12/14

It appears to have turned around at least one global
warming denier:
http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2012/11/28/1250151/watch-self-described-climate-skeptic-says-shes-changed-by-chasing-ice-documentary/

Gerry