[GPSCC-chat] monthly meetings & critical mass

Jim Doyle j.m.doyle at sbcglobal.net
Wed Dec 26 13:35:59 PST 2012

I agree wholeheartedly with Drew's comments (see below.)

He mentions the need to be creating semi autonomous locals.

Let's rephrase that and turn it into a proposal:
be it proposed athat we create semi autonomous locals.

Upon approval of the proposal the details of its implementation
such as who is going to do what when must be worked out and
agreed upon, i.e., volunteers needed.

Jim Doyle

P.S.  La Raza meeting agendas (agendi) list ten two minute reports
on issues pertinent to them, e.g., immigration and its friends such as
ice raids, drivers licenses, and the dream act.  Two minutes to give
an update of what has transpired in the last month.

Such an approach would help to streamline our meetings.
-------
Drew had posted

Happy Holidays all.

The mistaken premise of this discussion is that the only Greens that could possibly participate are the few that come to our business meetings. I don't believe in requiring people to come to our business meetings in order to participate. i rather think that without serious reformation of our business meetings to make them much, much more productive and engaging it is a severe mistake to ask people to come to our business meetings!!! Yes I do say that!

So while the business meeting and the Council need to guide the direction its completely counterproductive and anti-Green to insist on centralization of our work. One of our 10 Key Values is Decentralization and another is Local Control and another is Personal Responsibility. So these values run counter to trying to control all party functions via the county party apparatus.

Instead we need to be creating about 5 semi autonomous Locals to cover the work of the party throughout the county. Sure there are some functions like media, treasury and perhaps tabling that need to be done at the county level. But local events and actions along the lines of house parties, running local events campaigns Get Out the Vote (GOtV) and city politics by nature must be decentralized. We are not and will never be that functional and competitive as a party until we are really decentralized and operating at a more localized way, below the county level.

Green is GO!