[GPSCC-chat] Feingold Spoke at Stanford

Brian Good snug.bug at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 28 02:10:03 PST 2012

He said the apologists for Big Money are claiming "It's always been like this"
and it's not true.

He said the Citizens United decision was a cataclysm for the political system,
a lawless decision that gives corporations free rein over our democracy.

He said corporate power has been frightened by the power of the internet to
facilitate democracy.

He said we're heading for a new Gilded Age, a Gilded Age on steroids.  The
robber barons were moderated by the need to live in a fairly healthy society.
Multinational corporations need not fear that their fortunes are tied to
America's well-being.

We've got two choices:  start an era of boycotts, where we only buy
Progressive toothpaste and detergent, or overturn Citizens United.

Campaign Finance:  There's no such thing as a free lunch, and no such
thing as a free $10 million.

  Feingold is co-chair of the Obama campaign.  He calls for Obama to make
Citizens United a campaign issue.  He fears the Democrats are operating
under the influence of the corporate line, and the party is in danger of
losing its identity.

Feingold criticized the Obama campaign's embracing of the Super-PACs,
saying this was "Dancing with the Devil".