[GPSCC-chat] Boxer & Feinstein are co-sponsors of PIPA / SOPA. Wikipedia tells you how to write them. Please do it.

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at prodsyse.com
Wed Jan 18 16:34:54 PST 2012

Hello, All:

	  I'd like to encourage you to respond to the request from Wikipedia
for you to contact your representatives and senators, asking them to
support an open Internet including opposing the "Stop Online Piracy Act
(SOPA) in the US House and the "PROTECT IP ACT (PIPA)" in the US Senate.
  Senators Boxer and Feinstein are both co-sponsors of PIPA, so they
need to hear your concerns about that bill.  Below please find emails I
sent to Boxer, Feinstein, and Rep. Zoe Lofgren.

	  If you try any English language Wikipedia site today, it will provide
a form that should make it fairly easy for you to contact your
representatives and senators.

	  The primary issue is the future of democracy itself, and whether we
will continue to increase welfare for the wealthy while further
impoverishing the rest of us.  The commercial media in the US has a
major conflict of interest in disseminating any honest information about
the real political decisions in Washington.  They make huge profits
selling ads during election years.  They also do not want to offend
major corporations, who could spend their substantial advertising
budgets elsewhere.  For these reasons, Most of the political reporting
in the commercial media focuses on the "horse race", avoiding content
such as the fact that ultrawealthy campaign contributors routinely get
between $300 and $7,000 return on every dollar spent on campaign
contributions.  Solyndra executives collected roughly $100,000 for Obama
and received $500,000,000 in federal loan guarantees.  This only made
the news, because Solyndra went bankrupt.

	  If you value democracy, please follow the invitation of Wikipedia to
contact your US senators and representative.  My emails to them are
copied below.  I also encourage you to forward this (or create your own
version) and send to all your email contacts.

       Thanks,
       Spencer

#########################

email to Senators Boxer and Feinstein:

Dear Senator:

       Could you please reconsider your sponsorship of the PROTECT IP
Act?  I side with the Electronic Frontiers Foundation, Wikipedia,
Google, and many others this legislation would have a chilling effect on
public debate worldwide.  Beyond this, I believe this industry should be
broken up, because they have abused their oligopolistic powers in many
ways.  For example, from what I read, Pakistan is on the verge of
becoming a failed state, largely because of biased reporting in the US
that has pushed the Obama administration to do what they have done to
create this fiasco.  Similarly, they stampeded the US into invading Iraq
in 2003 by failing to report that Saddam Hussein had received his
weapons of mass destruction from the US, according to the 1994 Riegle
Report of the US Senate Committee on Banking, etc.

       Sincerely,
       Spencer Graves

email to Representative Lofgren:

Dear Representative Lofgren:

       Thanks for your opposition to SOPA.  I side with the Electronic
Frontiers Foundation, Wikipedia, Google, and many others this
legislation would have a chilling effect on public debate worldwide.
Beyond this, I believe that the multiple extensions of the copyright law
beyond the 28 years stipulated in the first copyright act passed in the
US does NOT promote the useful arts, as described by the US
constitution.  We need copyright law, but copyrights beyond 28 years
simply provide rents to bribery.

       Sincerely,
       Spencer Graves

--