[GPSCC-chat] CA DISCLOSE Act 2 Votes Shy

Brian Good snug.bug at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 31 12:30:58 PST 2012

   We needed a 2/3 majority--every Democrat and 2 Republicans.

   We got every Democrat except Cathleen Galgiani (Stockton), and we only got one
Republican, Nathan Fletcher (San Diego).

   So even though we failed to win the vote, we showed that the Republican Party
is willing to vote down legislation that 80% of voters (and over 75% of Republicans)
favor.

   Wait'll next year.  We'll introduce it again, and this time we'll win.

   I'm finding working at the CA State level very stimulating.  Most people don't even
know who their state legislators are, and a couple of dozen calls from constituents lights
a fire under their assembly reps.  By phonebanking, people from all over the state can
converge electronically to rouse the supporters in targeted assembly districts.  And there
is a very clear difference between Republicans and Democrats at the state level.

  I understand that Ms. Galgiani is termed out after this year, so her assembly seat will be
opening up, and she plans to run for state senate.

  I will be very interested to look into who finances Ms. Galgiani, and there's an excellent
research resource, maplight, that has a lot of information on CA state legislators and their
campaign contributors.