[GPSCC-chat] Foreclosure Idea

Brian Good snug.bug at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 21 13:37:47 PDT 2012

Taibbi references an article from 2010 that described FDR's Home Owners’
Loan Corporation (“HOLC”), which purchased one million distressed mortgages
from banks from 1933-1935--1/6 of the urban home mortgages.  Though
HOLC was able to pick and choose its cases and was indulgent of late or
missing payments, 20% of its mortgages wound up in default.
http://www.tnr.com/article/unhampered?page=0,0

 An article by Yes! Magazine editor Doug Pibel points out:

   "Since 1950, the average size of a new house in the United States

   has more than doubled, even as average household size has
   decreased by
nearly a quarter. The average American now has
   living space just shy of
1,000 square feet—nearly twice the size of
   the average house in 1950.
Have our needs really changed that
   much in six decades? Or have we been
sold something we don’t
   really need? . . . The real solution to the wrecked state of U.S. real
   estate is not
to try to get things back to where they were. It’s to
   find creative ways
 to match supply with demand, to change the
   way we finance housing, and
to recognize that owning the biggest
   house on the block could be the
American nightmare rather than