[GPSCC-chat] Chris Hedges on "Careerists"

Gerry Gras gerrygras at earthlink.net
Mon Jul 23 12:04:58 PDT 2012

I read this article:
"The Careerists"
     http://www.truthdig.com/report/item/the_careerists_20120723/

I have often found Chris Hedges columns to be bleak
and depressing.  This one also paints a bleak picture.
But unlike the others, this one was not depressing.
I think it provides a glimmer of understanding that
might end up being helpful.  I say that in part due
to my emotional response and to some of the comments.

I suspect that the subject is not new to most, but I
think that there still will be something new to many.

For those who have seen "Thank You for Smoking":
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0427944/
when asked why he did what he did, Nick Naylor said
"to pay the mortgage".

There's a reference to climate change in paragraph 7.

A personal story:  Without going into details I once
was a manager, I was required to perform an unpleasant
and I believe unethical task, I later decided to never
be a manager again, and I now wish I had resigned as
manager instead of doing what was requested.  I think
this helps me relate to this article.

Gerry