[GPSCC-chat] Supreme Court Nominations--Romney v. Obama

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at prodsyse.com
Fri Jun 1 04:20:13 PDT 2012

       What information sources exist right now that report routinely on
the activities of public officials federal, state and local and how that
relates to money spent on lobbying and campaign contributions?  Lawrence
Lessig's 2011 book "Republic, Lost" says that the massive amounts of
money required to get (re)elected is the "Gateway" problem facing the US
body politic today.  ( summarized this in "Gateway Problems in US
Politics & Economics",
http://occupy.pbworks.com/w/page/52167684/Gateway%20Problems.)  To
succeed in destroying the power of ABC (Disney), CBS (Westinghouse), NBC
(General Electric), CNN (TimeWarner) and Fox, we will need a critical
mass of the US electorate making intelligent decisions in elections
independent of the money spent on advertising, especially television.

       CommonDreams is good, but I don't think they originate any news
stories;  they only republish reports that originate elsewhere.  Betsy
listens to KPFA a lot, and I've been following Al Jazeera
(www.aljazeera.com <http://www.aljazeera.com/>), ProPublica
(www.propublica.org <http://www.propublica.org/>), and other members of
the Investigative News Network (INN, www.investigativenewsnetwork.org
<http://www.investigativenewsnetwork.org/>).  The members of INN all
originate their own stories.  ProPublica asks readers to contribute
information in various ways.  For example, their lead story right now asks:

Help Us Track How Politicians Target You
by Jeff Larson and Al Shaw
ProPublica, May 30, 12:51 p.m.
Political campaigns are using increasingly sophisticated methods to
target messages to voters, methods that are not at all transparent. We
need your help to uncover and understand them.

       ProPulica is also requesting information on foreclosures -- so
far (I think) without getting much.  Part of what I think we should do
with organizing a Foreclosure Summit is to ask people with foreclosure
experience to help build the ProPublica database.

       Best Wishes,
       Spencer