[GPSCC-chat] Congressional candidate Carol Brouillet arrested Palo Altan failed to attend court hearing after April civil disobedience arrest

Carol Brouillet cbrouillet at igc.org
Tue Jun 5 10:57:14 PDT 2012

<http://www.paloaltoonline.com/news/show_story.php?id=25624>http://www.paloaltoonline.com/news/show_story.php?id=25624

Congressional candidate Carol Brouillet arrested
Palo Altan failed to attend court hearing after April civil disobedience arrest

by <http://www.paloaltoonline.com/staff/mailto.php?e=sdremann>Sue Dremann
Palo Alto Weekly Staff

Photo
[]

Congressional candidate Carol Brouillet was arrested Saturday, June
2, after failing to show up for a court appearance, which stemmed
from a civil-disobedience action outside Lockheed Martin, according
to Palo Alto police.

Brouillet, who is running for the U.S. House of Representatives in
the 14th District, was taken into custody outside her Palo Alto home
on June 2 at about 8:47 p.m., she confirmed.

The Green Party candidate, who has run on a freedom-of-speech and
corporate-accountability platform, said City of Sunnyvale police
first arrested her and four other people on April 6. The group was
arrested for blocking the street in front of defense-systems
corporation Lockheed Martin, located at 1111 Lockheed Martin Way in
Sunnyvale. They were protesting nuclear weapons production, she said.

Brouillet has taken part in civil disobedience since the 1990s, and
has been arrested during passive protests numerous times in Berkeley
and Livermore, including with anti-war activist Daniel Ellsberg, she
said. But in most other instances, she and others were given
citations and sent on their way.

"I have never been through what I went through before," she said of
her experience in Santa Clara County's correctional facility. She
hadn't intended to miss her court date, she said.

On the day of her Sunnyvale arrest, Brouillet said she had been
precinct walking for her campaign when she learned that an old friend
was taking part in the protest at Lockheed.

"I just couldn't resist doing civil disobedience," she said.

After their arrest, Brouillet and friends were given a May 18
court-appearance date, but she sought to have the date changed. She
was supposed to appear in court on May 30, but when she didn't show
up the judge issued a bench warrant.

"I was so busy campaigning that I forgot and missed the court date," she said.

Brouillet said she went to the court after receiving the bench
warrant, and a clerk gave her another date to appear on June 15. But
when she came home on Saturday night, the police drove past her home.
The officer made a U-turn and then arrested her, she said.

"We had the most delightful conversation on the way to jail," she
said, adding the officer said she was the nicest person he had ever arrested.

"I think he might vote for me."

This was the first time Brouillet has sat in a cell at the Elmwood
Correctional Facility in Milpitas, she said. The experience was also
an eye opener.

"It was really awful," she said, adding that it took 14 hours to
process her. She posted $10,000 bail. "I didn't realize that
Sunnyvale was so harsh on exercising First Amendment rights," she said.

Her personal experience was an example of why she is running for
office, she said of the importance of exercising free speech. She now
has three court dates in Santa Clara County Superior Court in Palo Alto.

But there is a bright side.

"The nice thing about doing this in Palo Alto is I can bicycle
there," she said.