[GPSCC-chat] REGARDING -Continental Congress 2.0

Carol Brouillet cbrouillet at igc.org
Fri Jun 22 23:09:43 PDT 2012

I received some good feedback from Gerry Gras and
Jules. Thank-you both! Jules said that they
shouldn't be called "grievances" because of their
syntax and the way they are written more as
proposals.  Following a conference on Deep
Politics in Santa Cruz in 2010, we did come up
with another Declaration and list of grievances
which I believe are still quite valid today,
although the group that came up with them was
"international" and so they are not specific to
the United States, but obviously inspired by our
own Declaration of Independence and entitled a
Declaration of Accountability... (It is posted
at
<http://declarationofaccountability.com/>http://declarationofaccountability.com/
and you can sign it, if you find it
useful/inspiring....  I will be taking a copy of it with me to Philadelphia...)

Declaration of Accountability

When governments cease to serve the will of the
people and instead serve the interests of
powerful elites, unaccountable to the rule of
law, it is incumbent upon citizens of the world
to withdraw support from these institutions and
replace them with legitimate governments of, by, and for the people.

Presented in this Declaration of Accountability
is a Bill of Grievances detailing the unlawful
acts of some of the most powerful governments in
the world. This is a call to the people of these
countries and citizens of the world to hold
accountable those responsible for their criminal
acts. It is also a call for the restoration of
the rule of law through all legal means and, if
necessary, for an independent internationally
comprised tribunal. As so eloquently expressed by
U.S. Supreme Court Justice
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_H._Jackson>Robert
Jackson, the chief prosecutor of the Nuremberg
War Crimes Trials following World War II:

If certain acts and violations of treaties are
crimes, they are crimes whether the United States
does them or whether Germany does them. We are
not prepared to lay down a rule of criminal
conduct against others which we would not be
willing to have invoked against us.

In short, all nations, vanquished or victors, and
all persons, powerful or humble, are subject to
the rule of law without exception.

Bill of Grievances

Governments have perpetrated the following
willful and unconscionable acts on behalf of the
special interests of the few at the expense of
the people they are beholden to represent:

•They have turned over control of sovereign
monetary systems to private banks that critically
imperil the people’s welfare and the world economy;

•They have used the International Monetary Fund,
the World Trade Organization, the World Bank, and
the Bank for International Settlements to impose
their economic and political agendas on nations
worldwide, effectively subjecting them to
economic warfare and relegating them to the status of modern-day colonies;

•They have engaged in resource wars in Iraq,
Afghanistan, and elsewhere under false pretenses
(“weapons of mass destruction,” etc.), resulting
in massive loss of life and the wholesale
destruction of lands and local economies;

•They have caused the displacement of millions of
individuals and families from their native lands
due to imperial wars, exploitation, and trade
agreements (such as NAFTA), which has resulted in
the continuation of victimization of these
political, economic, and environmental refugees
in the countries to which they fled;

•They have eliminated job opportunities, social
services, and labor protections for the people
while enhancing the fortunes of banks and corporations;

•They have purposefully undermined free and fair
elections through voter registration
irregularities, rigged voting machines, and in
the U.S., high-court decisions that overrule the
electorate and endorse unlimited corporate
campaign financing and electoral control;

•They have passed laws inimical to the health and
welfare of the planet, subjecting all living
beings to oil spills, chemical poisoning and
pollution, deadly radiation, genetic manipulation
and other threats, as well as promoting wars for
profit, the single greatest cause of
environmental degradation and human illness;

•They have put the planet and its people at
further risk by permitting strip-mining of the
land, gouging of the ocean floor, emission of
greenhouse gases, privatization of drinking water
resources for profit, and the destruction of indigenous lands;

•They have perpetrated “false flag events”­acts
of violence and criminal negligence (including
many connected with 9/11), which are then blamed
on targeted groups or countries­to mobilize
support for wars (e.g., Iraq, Afghanistan) and
restrict liberties (e.g., the U.S. Patriot Act);

•They have routinely used torture­a criminal act
under the Geneva Convention, UN Convention
against Torture, and the U.S. War Crimes Act­to
extract false confessions from prisoners for the
purpose of linking them to alleged terrorist
plans and to create further pretexts for war;

•They have engaged in extraordinary renditions
(kidnapping) of citizens from various sovereign
countries and delivered them to CIA “black sites”
for torture­all in the name of the so-called “War on Terror”;

•They have enacted laws in secrecy that later
have been revealed to concentrate power in the
hands of a few, abridging constitutional checks and balances;

•They have engaged in secret, illegal spying on
innocent people, domestic and foreign, using
private telecommunication companies later
shielded from complicity in warrantless
wiretapping and electronic eavesdropping; and

•They have collaborated with corporate media to
mislead and misinform the people and to suppress
informed debate, thereby crippling democracy.

To redress the grievances in this Bill, we the
undersigned world citizens affirm the Universal
Declaration of Human Rights, adopted unanimously
in 1948 by the United Nations General Assembly,
which declares that “it is essential, if man is
not to be compelled to have recourse as a last
resort to rebellion against tyranny and
oppression, that human rights should be protected by the rule of law.”

Therefore, we call upon organizations and peoples
of all nations to join us in signing this
declaration and in taking all possible legal
actions to resolve the crimes described herein,
including an international tribunal and
initiatives suitable to each country. (An
elaboration of these grievances, their
documentation, and suggested remedies can be
found at
<http://declarationofaccountability.com/problems-and-solutions>Problems
and Proposed Solutions.)