[GPSCC-chat] Jimmy Carter Gets It

Brian Good snug.bug at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 30 07:05:23 PDT 2012

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/25/opinion/americas-shameful-human-rights-record.html

THE United States is abandoning its role as the global champion of human rights. . . .
Our nation’s violation of human rights . . . .  has
 been sanctioned and escalated by
bipartisan executive and legislative
actions, without dissent from the general public.
As a result, our
country can no longer speak with moral authority on these critical
issues. . . .

With leadership from the United States, the Universal Declaration of Human Rights
was adopted in 1948 as “the foundation of freedom, justice and peace in
 the world”. . . .Our government’s counterterrorism policies are now clearly
violating at least 10 of the
declaration’s 30 articles, including the
prohibition against “cruel, inhuman or degrading
treatment or
punishment”. . . .
Despite an arbitrary rule that any man killed by drones is declared an
enemy terrorist,
the death of nearby innocent women and children is
accepted as inevitable. After more than 30 airstrikes on civilian homes
this year in Afghanistan, President Hamid Karzai
has demanded that such
attacks end, but the practice continues in areas of Pakistan,
Somalia
and Yemen that are not in any war zone. We don’t know how many hundreds

of innocent civilians have been killed in these attacks, each one
approved by the highest
authorities in Washington. This would have been
unthinkable in previous times. . . .

The United
States should be strengthening, not weakening, basic rules of law and

principles of justice enumerated in the Universal Declaration of Human
Rights. But
instead of making the world safer, America’s violation of
international human rights abets our enemies and alienates our friends.

As concerned citizens, we must persuade Washington to reverse course and
 regain
moral leadership according to international human rights norms
that we had officially
adopted as our own and cherished throughout the
years.