[GPSCC-chat] [Fwd: [GPCA Official Notice] County Polling on Ballot Propositions]

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at prodsyse.com
Mon Mar 5 18:55:07 PST 2012

Hi, Tian, et al.:

TERM LIMITS

       I'm vehemently opposed to term limits.  In my judgment, term
limits are a right wing ploy that have successfully deprived
legislatures of institutional memory, thereby making it easier for
lobbyists to enact legislation they write for their clients.

       We could use 100% funding of political campaigns -- to the point
that many elective offices are won by politicians without substantive
support from big money.  I got this in part from Lawrence Lessig (2011)
Republic, Lost (Twelve), which was the primary inspiration for "The
Crisis in US Politics & Economics", a link to which was provided in an
email I sent to this list yesterday.  Lessig is a Harvard Law School
Prof (formerly at Stanford) and the author of two of the best analyses
I've read on the US political economy.

TOBACCO

        A 5 cent increase in the tobacco tax is probably appropriate.
If the tax is too high, it encourages a black market in cigarettes and a
general disrespect for the law.  If it's too low, the externalities
associated with, e.g., second hand smoking, are not properly reflected
in the purchase price of cigarettes.  I have not heard of a substantive
black market in California for cigarettes.  If there is, I could easily
be persuaded to oppose this measure.

       Best Wishes,
       Spencer