[GPSCC-chat] Political Passion

Wes Rolley wrolley at charter.net
Tue Mar 6 08:14:08 PST 2012

The Morgan Hill times runs a series of online polls: sports, news,
politics.  The results are carried online until printed in the local
edition.  This weeks political poll was a bit silly, but there is a
point to be learned.

Question:  Which political party has the most enthusiastic supporters.
Rep.   17%
Dem   42%
Ind.     17%
Lib.      25%
Grn.       0%
Other    0&

Since I write a column for the paper with political content, I generally
don't participate in the political polls.  I look at the results to
measure my influence.... and in this case obviously not much.

However, the most interesting fact was that there were only 12 total
votes.  In the same issue, the News Poll had 190 responses.  Perhaps,
the real point to be gained is that most people just don't care about
politics and might consider politicians as a lower life form.   A more
positive view is that there is a place for political activism that can
offer a view of how much better we can be and show us all how to get
there.  Republicans like to reference the "shining city on the hill" but
never give a road map.

However, concentrating on the negatives will only strengthen negative
perceptions.