[GPSCC-chat] Inside look at Goldman Sachs

Wes Rolley wrolley at charter.net
Thu Mar 15 10:57:42 PDT 2012

Gerry and all,
I left Gerry's links on this because it would be easy to compare
viewpoints.  There is no doubt that this resignation letter OpEd in the
NY Times merely confirms all that most progressives believe about
Goldman Sachs.

  http://www.nbr.com/leaders-influencers/goldman-sachs-takes-a-hit-after-an-executives-exit-20120314

I was surprised at the manner in which this was treated on PBS's Nightly
Business Report last night.  Key points:  much blame goes to current
(since 2006) executive leadership; in the long run, it will hot hurt GS
very much unless more top people leave.

The fault, per guest Peter Cohen, lies in having a trader as CEO who
puts emphasis on short term results with little attention going to the
development of long term relationships with the major customers that
they serve.  This was a major change in GS culture.

This is not an apology for GS, nor an attempt to just lay the blame on
CEO Blankenship, but rather an attempt to call attention to the fact
that the evil is well entrenched in our culture and much harder to deal
with than a single CEO or single company.

Wes