[GPSCC-chat] Morgan Hill Times Green Talk.

Wes Rolley wrolley at charter.net
Fri Mar 16 09:16:10 PDT 2012

If you read the following, you might also want to pay attention to the
interview of Sen. Inhofe by Rachel Maddow that aired last night on
MSNBC.  Link to the interview plus additional comments by Joe Romm can
be seen here:
http://thinkprogress.org/romm/2012/03/16/446008/inhofe-maddow-global-warming/

My column:

Most remember the late Isaac Asimov as a writer of science fiction: I
Robot, Caves of Steel, the Foundation Series, etc. He was also earned a
PhD in Chemistry from Columbia and was a Professor of BioChemistry at
Boston University.

I mention Asimov because I want to base this column on a single quote
from a column he wrote for Newsweek back in 1980. It is so fitting to
the present time.

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has
been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread
winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the
false notio­n that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as
your knowledge.'"

No one person so personifies this attitude as does Oklahoma's Senior
Senator, James Inhofe. He deserves mention now for two reasons. One is
the fact that should the Republican Party gain control of the Senate in
2012, Inhofe would be come Chair of the Committee on Public Works and
the Environment. The second is that he will use his position to
perpetuate a hoax on the American public... one that is ironically the
centerpiece of his new book: The Greatest Hoax: How the Global Warming
Conspiracy Threatens Your Future. The irony here is that the real hoax
is the being perpetrated by Sen. Inhofe.

You can read the book, should you really want to make up your own mind.
It did get some rave reviews on Amazon within a few hours of being
available. However, if you do, I would ask that you also read The Hockey
Stick and the Climate Wars by Dr. Michael Mann. From the first book, you
get reassurance that the Bible says God won't allow this to happen. In
the second, you have the evidence that it really is happening along with
a narrative of the extraordinary efforts that have been made to
discredit Dr. Mann and a number of his fellow climatologists.

It is easy to check just how far Sen. Inhofe will go to perpetuate his
hoax hoax. If you go to his US Senate web page, there is a link labeled
"Hundreds of Scientists Dispute Global Warming Alarmism". It links to a
list of names compiled by then Inhofe staffer Marc Morano and published
in 2008. The only trouble with this is the fact that the entire list is
itself a fake. Some of the people on the list are not scientists. Some
that have credentials are not climatologists. But more importantly, a
number of been misquoted, misinterpreted, misrepresented to the point
that they have asked to have their names taken off the list... but of
course that did not happen.

When rigid belief is threatened, some will lie, even to themselves. A
few will publish the lie at tax payers expense.

Where does this all take us now? The news today was filled with
discussion of a new study released by Dr. Ben Strauss at Climate
Central. That study shows that we have been underestimating the rate of
sea level rise associated with our warming climate and that significant
areas will be exposed to increasingly high, and therefore damaging,
storm surges even though the mean sea level does not itself yet threaten
flooding.

Even though we sit comfortably high here in Morgan Hill, it will affect
us. Two way are obvious. As tax payers, we will be asked to help in the
recovery for more and more sites. Consider that Balboa Island begins to
flood now. What happens to that with another 8 -- 12 inches, as is
forecast by 2030. If the government does not pay, will we have to pay
through increased insurance premiums? It is not going to be cheap,
either way. According to a story in the LA Times, new sea walls for
Balboa Island would cost $60 M. It would be $500 M to rebuild the sea
walls for all of Newport Beach. And that is starting now for only one
community. Imagine how much help you would get from a Senate where James
Inhofe controlled Public Works funding.

As we move forward which of Asimov's figures will we follow, the one of
ignorance of the one of knowledge. For myself, I have just gotten a
sticker to put on my car. "Got Science?"