[GPSCC-chat] Fwd: Mar. 25 Humanist Forum: Counting votes — Which Flawed System Do You Prefer?

Gerry Gras gerrygras at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 22 17:38:30 PDT 2012

FYI,

Gerry

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	Mar. 25 Humanist Forum: Counting votes — Which Flawed System
Do You Prefer?
Date: 	Thu, 22 Mar 2012 07:07:56 -0700
From: 	Alex Havasy <ahavasy at gmail.com>
To: 	undisclosed-recipients:;

The elections in San Francisco last fall highlighted once again the
thorny issue of how votes are counted, with the poll results being
counted on that occasion using the ranked-choice system. Is that the
best method? On the face of it, you’d expect mathematics to provide the
answer, as it does on so many occasions. Unfortunately, when it comes to
the democratic process, the one thing mathematicians are sure of is
there is no perfect method. Dr. Keith Devlin, Executive Director, H-STAR
Institute, Stanford University, and "the Math Guy" on National Public
Radio, will explain some of the flaws of all the systems.
-----------
The following Sunday Tim Lee, Dianne Jacobsen, Sena Havasy, Alex Havasy
and Bob Gauntt  will talk about: "World Peace Education Project."
-----------
The Humanist Community Forum meets at 11am at Palo Alto High School at
the corner of El Camino and Embarcadero Rd. (50 Embarcadero Rd) in Palo
Alto. The forum will be in the Student Center and the family program in
rm 1732 in the Science Bldg. Construction is now going on at the high
school so parking is restricted. Directions are at
http://www.humanists.org/mapsdirns.htm.
-----------
Past Humanist Community Forums (from December of 2009) are now viewable
on the Internet.  To view them on the web, go to
http://vimeo.com/user2798508/videos/sort:newest.  You can also get to
that website from the Forums page on the Humanist Community website
(http://www.humanists.org).
If you don't want to receive a Forum Topic Announcement every week, just
email me, havasy at live.com <mailto:havasy at live.com>, and put "Remove Me
from Sunday Forum Announcement" in the topic line. If you have a new
email address be sure to let me know the old one so I know what I’m
changing/removing.

Alex Havasy