[GPSCC-chat] OJS Principles Convention today and next Saturday, March 24 + 31

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at prodsyse.com
Sat Mar 24 08:18:05 PDT 2012

http://occupy.pbworks.com/w/page/52113712/Invite%20to%20Principles%20Convention

Below please find a summary of my thoughts on the work of the OSJ
Principles Convention:

	  1.  Identify issues (including the gateway problems of campaign
finance and the media;  see below)

	  2.  Prepare issue papers (including a discussion of how each is
impacted by the two gateway problems, and migrating as much of the
evidence as can be presented from a "neutral point of view" to Wikipedia).

	  3.  Turn each into a terse video (target 1 minute, 3 minutes max?)
with the aid of the Video Collective.  [Pablo's idea.]

	  4.  Hype the video and issue paper via Twitter, Facebook, personal
emails to friends and relatives, etc.

	  Spencer

##################################

       Gateway Problems in US Politics and Economics

       I sincerely hope that any issue identified as important during
OSJ's Principles Convention, March 24 and 31, will lead to development
of "issue statements" or "issue papers" on some place like
"occupy.pbworks.com".  I mention "occupy.pbworks.com", because it is
essentially a WYSIWYG Wiki, allowing collaborative development of text
describing the nature of the problem, alternative perspectives, the
available evidence, and the resolution the participants feel is
appropriate.  As part of this, I believe there are two major "Gateway"
problems preventing substantive progress on virtually all other problems
facing the US today:  (1) Runaway inflation in the cost of getting
elected to national office (and to many state and local offices).  (2)
The fact that the major media conglomerates would likely lose money if
any substantive progress were made in solving any of the major.  I
believe the analysis of any issue worthy of discussion at the Principles
Convention should ultimately include some analyses of how campaign
finance and the structure of the media impact them.  This is discussed
further in various things I've posted on "occupy.pbworks.com" -> "Pages
& Files" -> "OSJ-San Jose" -> Issues, especially "Systemic Corruption"
-> "Gateway Problems" and "Systemic Corruption"
("http://occupy.pbworks.com/w/page/52167684/Gateway%20Problems" and
"http://occupy.pbworks.com/w/page/51535688/Systemic%20Corruption").

       I'm sorry I will not be able to make the Convention on March 24.
  I hope the above will provide a useful contribution to the discussion.

       Best Wishes,
       Spencer

--
Spencer Graves, PE, PhD