[GPSCC-chat] Minutes of March Meeting

Caroline Yacoub carolineyacoub at att.net
Sat Mar 24 18:09:02 PDT 2012

We had an enormous agenda, but, due in part to Spencer's wife, Betsy, being
injured, and Spencer being absent, we managed to get through everything with a
few minutes to spare.

Facilitator--Warner
Note Taker--Caroline
Vibes Watcher--Tian
Time Keeper--Jim Doyle
Agenda preparer for next meeting--Tian

Introductions and announcements:
Merriam--Betsy has a cracked neck
Tian--Carol B. is on the ballot; the City of Mt View passed Move to Amend
Warner--Jim Stauffer is moving out of state. He will keep the same email.
Jim Doyle, John Thielking, Caroline Yacoub, and David Navarro, a visitor, also
present

Treasurer's Report: $2,560.89

Report on Status of County Council:
Merriam and Tian only members present. John will be appointed. Fred said he
would run. Spencer said he would, also, but that was before Betsy got hurt. Tian
nominated John to be on the council now, but Warner and John both objected, so
we will put it on the agenda for the next meeting.

Movie Night:
Merriam said no people are coming but our regular little group. Caroline said
because of John's excellent movies and speaker, that all people on our contact
lists had been contacted, but no one had come or replied. David suggested
"Whistle Blower" a movie about human trafficking. Jim suggested posting flyers
at SJSU.  [After the meeting Sharat said he had a movie and speaker for us. More
details later]

Report from Voter Reg. Training, Warner:
Nobody here went to the training. What are we in SC County going to do? We need
to maintain 1% of voters to have ballot status. Marni Glickman has said GPCA
needs 100,000 new registered voters. SC county's share of that would be 4,500.
We should be getting a new resource--Marni Glickman has a list of donors and
contacts. Tian will be the contact for our county.  He said we need a compelling
reason for people to join the Green Party. Merriam said we are down to very few
people. Who will do this registering? If everyone at this meeting went to work
on this, we would have to get over 700 new registrants apiece.

Discussion about GP:
Merriam said we are not attracting people because we have no issue. Tian said we
should be the voice of the silent people. Caroline asked David why he had come
to the meeting. He said he used to be Green, but thought he couldn't get
anything done, so he joined the Democrats, and then the Republicans. He has
looked at our literature and is interested. We agreed Spencer's bank materials
and John's movie lists were relevant

Tabling Supplies:
Jim Doyle proposed we buy 3 GP tote bags, under the condition that they cost us
less than $10. Caroline asked that Jim order another box of button supplies. We
need more copies of Spencer's bank materials and John's movie list--with Green
Party logo and contact information on them. GROW will be producing a newspaper.
There will be no new Green Focus for at least a year.

GUEST SPEAKER--JOSEPH ROSAS
Joseph Rosas  is an independent candidate for Assembly District 24. This is a
new district. He is running against Richard Gordon. He lives in Sunnyvale. He is
pro gun control. He worked to stop Cargill. He has been with Occupy since the
beginning. He is working with the Rent Control Board in East Palo Alto. He is
with California Common Cause, and he is working to get California to sign on to
the Disclose Act.He has done lobbying. He has worked with Anna Eshoo. He has
stared down Nancy Pelosi. His platform is clean money and gun control.

votesmart.org--Jim Doyle
Votesmart gathers information on all candidates. It is based in Colorado. They
check on financing and interests (e.g. environment). In the vote-easy section,
they can follow an issue, and it shows where all the candidates stand in
relation to what you think. Jim said when he did it Jill Stein came out closest
to him on everything. If we had a laptop at Junior State, we could let students
go through it. It would be terrific. Warner will call Cameron to see if he will
come to Junior State for this. Jim will check with Jr. State to see if we have
wi-fi in the ballroom.

Regional Rep. Report--Warner:
You can apply to be on state committees. You must then be appointed to a
committee. This is different from Working Groups. In addition to Regional Reps,
there are also at large CC members. Michael Feinstein wants to do away with
Regional Reps. We need a delegate for the national nominating convention. Tian
will be our delegate. Warner proposed GPCA not use hierarchic titles (like
General Manager). This was voted down. There will be two gatherings as well as
the plenary. Warner would like us to do one of the gatherings. This would be in
August or September.
The General Assembly (plenary) will be May 11-12  in San Francisco. Saturday
night will be a forum of candidates. Jill Stein will be there. We qualify for
four members. So far we have three--Warner, Merriam, and Tian--ANYBODY WANT TO
VOLUNTEER?

Tabling:
Sunday April 22 will be a fair at Full Circle Farm in Sunnyvale. Jim will
reserve us a table for $25. Merriam and Caroline will table. San Jose State and
Santa Clara University both usually have Earth Day celebrations that we
participate in. Junior State is April 21. Berryessa Art and Wine is on May 11.
Anyone who wants to go to a library or farmers' market and register voters,
Caroline has several hundred registration forms and clipboards you can use.

We endorsed Carol Brouillet, who is running for Congress. Tian will let the GPCA
know that.