[GPSCC-chat] tonight's agenda

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at prodsyse.com
Thu May 24 22:39:42 PDT 2012

Draft minutes appear below.  If you have any corrections, additions, or
questions, please post them to this list.  Thanks.  Spencer

On 5/24/2012 1:21 PM, Jim Doyle wrote:

> Here is the agenda for tonight.
> Two last minute additions at the bottom.
> A text file of the agenda (not updated) is attached and will
> or should be more consistant in the format.
>
> Special request: please print a copy of the agenda
> for your personal use. Thank you.
>
> Jim Doyle
> GREEN PARTY OF SANTA CLARA COUNTY
> Meeting agenda for May 24, 2012
>
> Select Facilitator, Notetaker, Timekeeper, Vibes Watcher,

Facilitator:  Warner
Notetaker:  Spencer
Timekeeper:  John T.
Vibes Watcher:  Fred D.

> Agenda Preparer of next meeting 5 min:  Jim Doyle

> Introductions 10 min

Roy, Shiva, Victoria, Spencer, Warner, Jules B., Fred D., John T.,
Jonathan F., Betsy Wolf-Graves, Richard, Bailey, Andrea, Tian, Drew,
Merriam + 3 others ... + Jim Doyle

> Agenda revisions 5 min
> Reports from the campaign trail**
> campaign manager Jules B 10 min

           Carol Brouillet's third run for congress, each time as a Green.

       Dave Chapman, Republican, has not campaigned at all.  In 2010, he
got 25,000 votes.  If Carol gets 30,000 votes, she should take second
place.

       Focusing on San José, Los Gatos, Saratoga, ...
Atherton, Redwood City
Almaden Valley Cambrian area -- carol4congress.org

> campaign treasurer Tian H 5 min

       Carol has raised and spent ~$17,000.  Spent most of the money on
quality literature and staff time.

> Treasurer's report Jim D 2 min

       balance:  $2,545.48

> Tabling

> Green Pages (national GP) - order more? 5 min:

       Spencer proposes we purchase 50 for $15 plus shipping of each new
edition and discard any copies left over from the earlier quarter.

> Move to Amend Tour Bus Roy N 7 min

       Occupy National Gathering from June 30 to July 4 in
Philadelphia.  Occupy Caravan is assembling 3 caravans to cover the US,
covering the west coast June 11, converge on Philadelphia June 30.
Rainbow gatherings along the way.  Videotaping and making a movie about it.

       June 2 at 2 PM, a fund-raising party at Roy's house.  809 Bird
Ave., @ Riverside, Willow Glen.  Make check payable to Roy.

       Merriam proposes the Green Party donate $45 to this.  Warner has
a concern that this is not directly related to Green Party business.  He
is willing to stand aside.  There are no other concerns, which means
that we have have consensus.

> Movie night Merriam / John 5 min

       normally the 2nd Friday of every month.  June 8:  Sponsoring "SB
1070 The Faces".

       Merriam is burned out of Movie Night.  They've been doing it for
more than a year.  The Peace Center also has Latin Movie Night.  Merriam
proposes we allow the Latin Movie Night group to take our 2nd Friday,
and we would co-sponsor their events.  Merriam has been involved with
the Latin Movie Night.  That group has gotten a bigger response than the
Green Party Movie Night.  No concerns.  Consensus.

> Report on GPCA General Assembly Warner B 15 min

       Warner, Tian, Gerry Gras and Drew attended.  Posted a brief
summary on Greens Cal Forum.  We elected National Delegates.  Elected a
new Coordinating Committee.  State party has no position on the
initiatives.  County parties are entitled to take their own positions.
Michael Feinstein's proposals failed.  We have a budget problem.  Next
plenary will likely be in Dec. or Jan.  No breakout sessions because of
the budget problems.

       Drew and Tian liked the candidate's forum.  Now on YouTube.  The
Fairfax public had a recall election whose results changes their
representatives to reverse the approval of a new Walmart Super Center.
Tian said plenaries used to draw 150, now have only 50.

        The combined primary is having the anticipated impact of
reducing the number of Green party candidates in this primary.

> County Council Topics

> Duties, responsibilities, authority Jim D 10 min

       Duties:  Report local results on county polling to the plenary
organization plus treasurer's report twice per year.

       Spencer's election to the County Council has been reported to
Sanda but NOT the County Registrar of Voters.  Until June 6, our County
Council consists of Merriam, Tian, Andrea and Spencer.  Spencer,
Merriam, Andrea and Tian appoints Jim Doyle as a new County Council
member starting June 5.  Merriam's current term expires June 5, but she
is reappointed.  Drew is appointed to the County Council starting June 5.
,

       Beginning June 6, the County Council will be Spencer, Drew,
Merriam, and Jim Doyle.  We will revisit this in August when John T. has
been a member of the Green party for a year.

       One member of the current County Council needs to send a letter
to the County Registrar of Voters naming all the new members of the
County Council.  Send the names, addresses phone numbers and email
addresses saying there are "vacancies filled by appointment by the
county council at a general membership meeting".  Also send this info to
Sandra everett and Al Chantz.

> appointing John T. to county council Tian H 10 min
> Proposal to modify the GPSCC bylaws Jim D 10 min

       Warner has a concern about removing the option that the secretary
and treasurer be selected at a general county meeting.  Drew is
concerned that the secretary and treasurer must be on the County
Council.  This issue is postponed to next month.

> (details below)
>
> GPCA merchandise Clearing House Warner B 10 min

       Warner proposes to volunteer Santa Clara County for warehousing
the material.  Warner is willing to keep it at his house and send things
out as needed and try to train others to do it.  Warner will send a
specific proposal to the Clearing House Committee.  We have consensus.

> GPSCC electioneering -- Jim D 5 min
> gotv, candidate support, precinct walking, etc.

       Tabled for next time.

> [[co-?] sponsor] Foreclosure event Spencer G 5 min

       We will discuss this again next month.  In the meantime, Warner
reminded me of his previous suggestion that I contact Thomas
Spielbauer.  He also suggested I create a bookmark or leaflet on this
from the information in the San Francisco Foreclosure Audit, mentioning
the three pronged attack on foreclosures plus the 6 major areas in which
banks routinely violate the law during foreclosures.  "Did you know that
one out of every 6 homeowners in California has lost their home since
2007 and almost that many are expected to lose their homes before the
current foreclosure crisis is over?  If you or someone you know has lost
their home or might lose their home -- or you are otherwise concerned
about this issue -- you may want to know about the three ways people are
dealing with this crisis ... ."

       After the election, Jules can help in various ways.

> Estimated time 1 hour 54 minutes
>

> Proposal to modify the bylaws.
>
> Change the first sentence of paragraph 2.1.2 which currently reads
>
> 2.1.2 The Council shall select a secretary and a treasurer from among
> its members,
>
> or may ratify the selection of these officers made at a General County
> Meeting.
>
> to read
>
> 2.1.2 The Council shall appoint a secretary and a treasurer.
>
> ------------
> The responsibilities of the county council and the treasurer are
> spelled out in the
> next sentence of the bylaws which remains unchanged
>
> The Council and/or its officers will be responsible for complying with
> the financial
> reporting requirements of the Fair Political Practices Commission (FPPC).
>
> [[co-?] sponsor] Foreclosure event Spencer G 5 min
> sponsor? an election night party

Spencer Graves, PE, PhD
President and Chief Technology Officer
751 Emerson Ct.