[GPSCC-chat] "Killing the competition"

Gerry Gras gerrygras at earthlink.net
Sat May 26 20:02:39 PDT 2012

Alex Walker wrote:
> Thanks for posting this, Gerry. This very day I read a devastating commentary at the web site for, of all things, Forbes Magazine, about Meg Whitman and 10 years of screw-ups at HP.

I found this recent Forbes article about HP, but I don't think
it's the one you are talking about.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/briancaulfield/2012/05/23/hp-to-axe-27000-jobs-beats-q2-earnings-sales-ests-shares-up-6-5-after-hours/

I found this article about HP screwups, but it's not Forbes:
http://www.thephoenixprinciple.com/blog/2012/05/can-meg-whitman-turn-around-hp-nope.html

Do you have a link to the article on the web?
Or can you tell me which Forbes issue it was in,
so I can read it at the library?

Speaking of which, the reason I posted the Harper's
article now was that earlier today I was at the
Palo Alto library, was looking at the magazine rack,
and was intrigued by the "Killing the Competition"
line on the front page.  I don't know how that issue
got in front.

> I have always thought that the Santa Clara County Green Party, situated in the heart of One-Party so-called liberal Democratic Party territory that is also the heart of so-called Silicon Valley, has a unique responsibility for documenting the failures of our "Neo-Whatever" capitalist empire.

I guess you are right.

And, FWIW, the fact that "corporate personhood" came from
"Santa Clara County v. Southern Pacific" has provided extra
motivation to me.

 > It is simply not enough for Greens to come off as super-liberal
Democrats.

Unfortunately, it seems that some Greens may be super-liberal Democrats.
At least some do go back and vote for Democrats at times.  Some voted
for Obama.  Hmm, and what about me?  I confess I gave money to
Marcy Winograd when she ran against Jane Harman.

I hope that most Greens are not just super-liberal Democrats...

 > We must articulate a progressive vision for the 21st Century --
 > a very different than the Democratic Party Project.

I assume you mean something more than the platforms.
Can you be a little more specific about what you have
in mind?

Gerry