[GPSCC-chat] student's feedback

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at structuremonitoring.com
Sun May 27 20:12:03 PDT 2012

Dear Jim:

       He invited feedback.  Below please see my reactions, which you
can forward to him.

       Thanks, Spencer

##############################

Hi, Ben:

       Jim asked for your comments, and I appreciate you sharing with us
your thoughts.  You invited reactions to your comments, so I will offer
some.

             1.  I believe the primary benefit of more eduction is that
it gives one more flexibility.  People with more education tend to have
more flexibility in how they spend their time.  It's difficult but not
impossible to become a college professor without a PhD.  It's difficult
but not impossible to become a high level manager in many organizations
without a masters in business or public administration.  I have a friend
with a PhD in chemical engineering and experience with lithography in
the manufacture of computer chips, who decided he didn't want to do that
any more.  He sought and found a job as a statistician in biotech.  I
have a BS in Aerospace Engineering and a PhD in Statistics.

             2.  There is a strong relationship between education and
unemployment and income.  The Wikipedia article on "Educational
attainment in the United States" cites research indicating that in 2009,
14.6% of high school dropouts were unemployed vs. 2.4% of people with a
doctorate or a professional degree (doctor or lawyer), and the median
weekly earnings were $454 for dropouts and $1,530 for people with
doctorates and professional degrees.  Moreover, the spread in income has
increased over the past 40 years, as noted in the Wikipedia article on
"Income inequality in the United States".  From these numbers, one could
program a spreadsheet to compare a person's net worth each year over,
say, the next 50 years as a function of your education level and how
much debt you took at what interest rate to obtain more education.

             3.  The opportunities for lower skilled jobs are declining
all the time, with more work being done by robots.  The future belongs
to people who will (a) create the technology of tomorrow
and (b) drive the political processes that determine if our future will
look more like the egalitarian societies of Scandinavia or the poverty
of Africa.  Currently, the commercial media is driving us towards the
latter, but it doesn't need to be that way.

             4.  The runaway inflation in the cost of a college
education is a major scandal of our time, driving by laws written to
benefit major campaign contributors, including the banks, and concealed
by the mainstream commercial media, who would lose advertising if they
exposed too much of it.  For more information, see a brochure created by
Occupy San José and San José State Students for Quality Education
(http://occupy.pbworks.com/w/file/54050104/StudentDebt2.pdf) or another
brochure inviting people to "Move Your Money" from a major bank
(http://occupy.pbworks.com/w/file/54050421/MoveYourMoney2012-05-27.pdf)
or "Gateway Problems in US Politics & Economics" at
"http://occupy.pbworks.com/w/page/52167684/Gateway%20Problems".

       I hope you find these comments interesting and useful.

       Thanks for coming to our meeting last week.  I hope to see you
again.

       Best Wishes,
       Spencer Graves