[GPSCC-chat] Occupy Memorial Day

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at prodsyse.com
Tue May 29 10:26:53 PDT 2012

Below please find a Memorial Day blog I just posed to
"effectivedefense.org".  Comments welcomed.

*Honoring Our Dead*

Spencer Graves^1 <#sdfootnote1sym>

While visiting a small town in Austria, I was startled to see a
life-size statue of a young man in a World War II German army helmet. I
was raised in Kansas in the shadow of an uncle who didn't return from
that war, and my visceral reaction was clearly different from that of my
Austrian hosts: To me, that helmet represented Nazi tyranny including
the holocaust. Many Austrians have a different interpretation, e.g.,
resistance to foreign invasion.

Similarly, there are active controversies in the US today over
Confederate monuments.^2 <#sdfootnote2sym> To African-Americans and
"damn Yankees" like me, such monuments symbolize slavery. To
Southerners, they more likely embody resentment over the depredations
and humiliations of the war and the Reconstruction period that
followed.^3 <#sdfootnote3sym>

I'm concerned, however, that we not use the memory of fallen soldiers to
glorify and promote further use of violence, especially in situations
where research suggests that there may be more effective means of
achieving reasonable objectives in conflict situations. For example,
recent research into the effectiveness of alternative reactions to
injustice and depredations in the twentieth century determined that 26%
of the violent change efforts as opposed to 53% of the nonviolent
campaigns achieved some measure of success. Moreover, the nonviolent
changes efforts produced on average substantially greater increases in
freedom and democracy. The successes of both violent and nonviolent
campaigns were achieved in large part through defections among the
establishment. This helps explain why nonviolence tends on average to be
more effective, because people are more likely to defect if the
challengers are nonviolent.^4 <#sdfootnote4sym>

Similar research into the use of air power has indicated that tactical
air support of ground troops has been useful, but strategic bombing has
on average been a waste of resources. One example is the London Blitz,
which solidified the support of the British public behind their
government to the detriment of Hitler, who ordered the Blitz.^5
<#sdfootnote5sym>

A more current example is use of drones by the US in Pakistan, which is
allegedly "critical" to US operations in that region. Pakistan has
disagreed vehemently, demanding that the US stop using drones in its air
space. This Pakistani response suggests that US drone use there has done
for the US what the Blitz did for Hitler.^6 <#sdfootnote6sym>

The memory of those who made the supreme sacrifice should motivate us to
seek and support more careful research into the long-term impact of
alternative responses to threats and attack.

Copyright 2012 under the Creative Commons Attribution, Share-Alike license.

1 <#sdfootnote1anc>Wikipedia, "Memorial Day", "Armistice Day", accessed
2012-05-29.

2 <#sdfootnote2anc>Mitch Carr, "Reidsville protesters want confederate
statue back", MyFOX8.com, May 23, 2012,
"http://myfox8.com/2012/05/23/reidsville-protesters-want-confederate-statue-back/
", accessed 2012-05-28.

3 <#sdfootnote3anc>The resentment of the Southern whites following the
American War between the States seems consistent with the role-reversal
theory of Roger D. Petersen, /Understanding Ethnic Violence: Fear,
Hatred, and Resentment in Twentieth-Century Eastern Europe/, Cambridge
U. Pr., 2002.

4 <#sdfootnote4anc>Erica Chenoweth and Maria J. Stephan, /Why Civil
Resistance Works/, Columbia U. Pr., 2011.

5 <#sdfootnote5anc>Robert A. Pape, /Bombing to Win: Air Power and
Coercion in War/, Cornell U. Pr., 1996. M. Horowitz and D. Reiter, "When
Does Aerial Bombing Work? Quantitative Empirical Tests, 1917-1999",
Journal of Conflict Resolution, 45: 147-173, 2001.

6 <#sdfootnote6anc>Indira A.R. Lakshmanan, "Pakistan Ends Drone Strikes
In Blow To U.S. War On Terror", Bloomberg, 2012-03-13 02:22:18Z.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-03-13/pakistan-tells-white-house-to-stop-drone-missions-after-disputes-fray-ties.html,
accessed 2012-05-28.

--
Spencer Graves, PE, PhD