[GPSCC-chat] Nader Nails It!

Brian Good snug.bug at hotmail.com
Thu May 31 20:24:32 PDT 2012

	http://www.commondreams.org/view/2012/05/31
Obama At Large: Where Are The Lawyers?

			  by  Ralph Nader

			The rule of law is rapidly breaking down at the top levels of our
government. As officers of the court, we have sworn to “support the
Constitution,” which clearly implies an
affirmative commitment on our
part.

Take the administrations of George W. Bush and Barack Obama. The
conservative American Bar Association sent three white papers to
President Bush describing his
continual unconstitutional policies. Then
and now civil liberties groups and a few law
professors, such as the
stalwart David Cole of Georgetown University and Jonathan Turley of
George Washington University, have distinguished themselves in calling
out both presidents for such violations and the necessity for enforcing
the rule of law.

Sadly, the bulk of our profession, as individuals and through their
bar associations, has remained quietly on the sidelines. They have
turned away from their role as “first-responders” to protect the
Constitution from its official violators.

As a youngster in Hawaii, basketball player Barack Obama was
nicknamed by his
schoolboy chums as “Barry O’Bomber,” according to the Washington Post. Tuesday’s
(May 29) New York Times
 published a massive page-one feature article by Jo
Becker and Scott
Shane, that demonstrated just how inadvertently prescient was this
moniker. This was not an adversarial, leaked newspaper scoop. The
article had all the signs of cooperation by the three dozen, interviewed
 current andformer advisers to President Obama and his administration.
The reporters wrote that a weekly role of the president is to personally
 select and order a “kill list” of suspected terrorists or militants via
 drone strikes or other means. The reporterswrote that this personal
role of Obama’s is “without precedent in presidential history.”
Adversaries are pulling him into more and more countries – Pakistan,

Yemen, Somalia and other territories.

The drones have killed civilians, families with small children, and
even allied soldiers in this undeclared war based on secret “facts” and
grudges (getting even). These attacks are justified by secret legal
memos claiming that the president, without any Congressional
authorization, can without any limitations other that his say-so, target
 far and wide assassinations of any “suspected terrorist,” including
American citizens.

The bombings by Mr. Obama, as secret prosecutor, judge, jury and

executioner, trample proper constitutional authority, separation of
powers,
and checks and balances and constitute repeated impeachable
offenses.
That is, if a pathetic Congress ever decided to uphold its
constitutional responsibility, including and beyond Article I, section
8’s war-declaring powers.
The bombings by Mr. Obama, as secret
prosecutor, judge, jury and executioner,
trample proper constitutional
authority, separation of powers, and checks and
balances and constitute
repeated impeachable offenses. That is, if a pathetic Congress ever
decided to uphold its constitutional responsibility, including and
beyond Article I, section 8’s war-declaring powers.

As if lawyers needed any reminding, the Constitution is the
foundation of our legal system and is based on declared, open boundaries
 of permissible government actions. That is what a government of law,
not of men, means. Further our system is clearly demarked by independent
 review of executive branch decisions – by our courts and Congress.

What happens if Congress becomes, in constitutional lawyer Bruce
Fein’s
words, “an ink blot,” and the courts beg off with their wholesale
 dismissals
of Constitutional matters based on claims and issue involves
 a “political question” or that parties have “no-standing-to-sue.” What
happens is whatis happening. The situation worsens every year,
deepening dictatorial
secretive decisions by the White House, and not
just regarding foreign and military policies.

The value of The New York Times article is that it added ascribed commentary on what was reported. Here is a sample:

- The U.S. Ambassador to Pakistan, Cameron P. Munter, quoted by a
colleague as complaining about the CIA’s strikes driving American policy
commenting that he: “didn’t realize his main job was to kill people.”
Imagine what the sidelined Foreign Service is thinking about greater
longer-range risks to our national security.

- Dennis Blair, former Director of National Intelligence, calls the
strike campaign “dangerously seductive.” He said that Obama’s obsession
with targeted killings is “the politically advantageous thing to do —
low cost, no US casualties, gives the appearance of toughness. It plays
well domestically, and it is unpopular only in other countries. Any
damage it does to the national interest only shows up over the long
term.” Blair, a retired admiral, has often noted that intense focus on
strikes sidelines any long-term strategy against al-Qaeda which spreads
wider with each drone that vaporizes civilians.

- Former CIA director Michael Hayden decries the secrecy: “This
program rests on the personal legitimacy of the president and that’s
not
 sustainable,” he told the Times. “Democracies do not make war on the basis of legal memos locked in a D.O.J. [Department of Justice] safe.”

Consider this: an allegedly liberal former constitutional law
lecturer is
being cautioned about blowback, the erosion of democracy and
 the national security by former heads of super-secret spy agencies!

Secrecy-driven violence in government breeds fear and surrender of
conscience. When Mr. Obama was campaigning for president in 2007, he was
 reviled by Hillary Clinton, Joseph Biden Jr. and Mitt Romney – then

presidential candidates – for declaring that even if Pakistan leaders

objected, he would go after terrorist bases in Pakistan. Romney said he
had “become Dr. Strangelove,” according to the Times. Today all three of candidate Obama’s critics have decided to go along with egregiousviolations of our Constitution.

The Times made the telling point that Obama’s orders now
“can target suspects in Yemen whose names they do not know.” Such is the
 drift to one-man rule, consuming so much of his time in this way at the
 expense of addressing hundreds of thousands of preventable fatalities
yearly here in the U.S. from occupational disease, environmental
pollution, hospital infections and other documented dangerous
conditions.

Based on deep reporting, Becker and Shane allowed that “both Pakistan
and Yemen are arguably less stable and more hostile to the United
States than when Obama became president.”

In a world of lawlessness, force will beget force, which is what the
CIA
means by “blowback.” Our country has the most to lose when we
abandon the rule of law and embrace lawless violence that is banking
future
revenge throughout the world.

The people in the countries we target know what we must remember. We
are their occupiers, their invaders, the powerful supporters for decades
 of
their own brutal tyrants. We’re in their backyard, which more than
any other impetus spawned al-Qaeda in the first place.

So lawyers of America, apart from a few stalwarts among you, what is
your
breaking point? When will you uphold your oath of office and work
to restore constitutional authorities and boundaries?

###

Someday, people will ask – where were the lawyers?