[GPSCC-chat] Ed Ehmke's Lockheed/Trident Sentencing Statement

Brian Good snug.bug at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 1 10:25:39 PDT 2012

Ed got 10 days in jail.

His statement is here.  http://www.wevigil.org/

I've digested it below:

Lockheed Martin is the world’s largest arms manufacturer, the
largest
manufacturer of nuclear missiles, and last produced a
commercial aircraft
thirty years ago.  It spends millions in
political contributions, funding “think
tanks” and in lobbying
–300 in Washington–not just to sell its weapons but
to sell war
itself. This brings it annual sales of $40
billion, almost all from
taxpayers.

Lockheed is the lead contractor for the Trident D5 nuclear
missile. The
USA's 14 Trident-carrying submarines can each carry 24
D5′s, each with
up to 8 independently targeted warheads. (The W88′s
are over 20 times
more powerful than the bomb that destroyed
Nagasaki.)

Almost 40 years ago, Richard McSorley, a Jesuit theologian
teaching at
Georgetown University, characterized nuclear weapons as
the taproot of
evil in our time. Plants send taproots deep into the
ground for water and
nourishment.  Nuclear militarism draws similarly
upon our emotions, needs,
and material resources to feed and be fed
by a self-absorbed culture that
is increasingly unable to look at and
beyond itself.  Our fears about our
economic and physical security, our desire of
power--even our passive
hopelessness in this world of video games,
consumer culture, and
entertainment masquerading as news--keep us
living in the moment.  We
quibble about the costs of health care,
education, preserving natural
resources; and aid for the poor,
unemployed, and homeless; but we don't
question nearly a trillion
dollars spent annually on wars, on weapons that
could easily destroy
our planet, on drones that insulate us from the
violence we inflict,
on nearly 1000 military bases and the thousands of
soldiers and
mercenaries who people them.

Lockheed Martin is not solely responsible for all of this. We are.
 Lockheed
and its cohorts thrive on our passivity. By turning a blind
eye, or fatalistically
accepting the situation, we all are complicit.
Only by speaking and
acting—peacefully–can we achieve peace. We
cannot be silenced.  We
cannot be silent.