[GPSCC-chat] Minutes of November meeting Green Party of Santa Clara County

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at prodsyse.com
Thu Nov 29 22:36:10 PST 2012

Please post any additions, corrections, clarifications, etc. to this
list.  Thanks.  Spencer

On- 11/29/2012 3:45 PM, John Thielking wrote:
> Seeing no objections to the draft agenda, this is now the final agenda
> for tonight's meeting. The only addition to the agenda is that an
> Iranian named Tanyer Vakili  (a friend of Leyla) has confirmed that he
> will be speaking at the Dec 8th event on Iran, Syria and
> Israel/Palestine.  Thanks.
> John Thielking

facilitator:  Tian

Note taker:  Spencer

time keeper:  John t

vibes:  Dana & Gerry

agenda preparer:  John Thielking

>     7:35
>
>     Introductions and announcements. Changes to agenda. Review minutes
>     from October's meeting and approve. Announcement:

Sat. Dec. 8, New Community of Faith, 6350 Rainbow Dr., San José, CA
95129,  2-4 PM:  Dr. Sharat Lin speaking on "War and Peace with Iran,
Syria, and Palestine / Israel"

>     AACSA fundraising fish fry December 8 African American Community
>     Services Agency -- What time?   11 - 6

304 N. 6th St., San Jose, CA 408-292-3157

Tian Harter

Dana St. George

Gerry Gras

Caroline

Drew Johnson

Spencer Graves

Pete O'Brien, Peace & Freedom Party

John Thielking

Fred Dupperault

David Merritt

Sandy Perry

>     7:50
>
>     Treasurer's report and hat passing. Jim Doyle As a part of the
>     treasurer's report: 5 min
>
>     paypal donation & $50 annual fee to SOS

collection:  $30 cash + $25 check

>     7:55 Holiday Peace Fair.
>
>     Who is tabling?

Dana & Gerry 11-noon

Betsy 12-2

John Thielking, all day

>     Who is doing our dessert?

Dana St. George

>     Any ideas for student helpers?
>
>     John and Caroline.
>

>     8:05 Human Rights Day march. Caroline.

Dec. 2 (first Sunday in Dec.) Story & King organized by Volutarios de la
Comunidad -- 3 mile march to City Hall.

Dec. 7 - austerity crisis march -

Dec. 10 similar march in Sacramento(?)

>     8:10 Demonstration to support Medicare, Social Security, etc.
>     before they get thrown off the fiscal cliff.
>
>     Caroline

(1) Flash Mob in San Francisco, Dec. 7, someplace;  contact Sandy.

(2) tentative:  demonstration at Zoe Lofgren's office Monday, Dec. 10
organized by Single Payer Coalition + ???  ... contact Sandy.

>     8:20 Sandy and Drew report on organizing at De Anza (10 min)

       Need to make announcements in the proper classes early in each
term to get students to volunteer to do project(s) with the Green Party

>     8:30 Caroline and Sandy report about Gavilan organizing. (5 min)
>

>     8:35 Report back from Jr State.

Great event.  Do It Yourself button machine sold like crazy.

>     8:40 Should we start a series of pizza parties and/or other
>     general interest events to build third party support? Should
>     regular monthly meetings continue in current format or should the
>     work be delegated to micro-committees who only have to check in
>     with County Council to get approval for spending money? Contact
>     Libertarians, Peace and Freedom, etc about pizza parties. Find out
>     if we can get a regular venue for a GMO free potluck instead of a
>     questionable GMO content pizza place. And/or should we try to
>     spice up the monthly meetings by actually having speakers at
>     7PM-7:30PM?

Th. Dec. 27:  Tian will see if he can get his clubhouse for a holiday.
Tian will notify us tomorrow.

** What about webinars?

** What about having meetings in different places?

>     8:55 youth connections - 5 - 10 min
>

>     9:00 4 year electoral plan 10 - 15 min
>
>     infrastructure, candidate(s), fundraising, gotv, social media, etc.

Next step:  Get CiviCRM software working for us.

Generate joint list of candidates with Peace & Freedom, etc.

>     9:10 Jazzing up our literature and translating it into Vietnamese.
>     Caroline

Jim Doyle has a volunteer who wants to do something.  We want something
more eye catching.  Many places we go in San José, there are more
Vietnamese than Hispanic.

>     9:15 Techie committee for web site(s) and discussion of issues
>     re:web sites and their accessibility. For example John Thielking
>     has put out a job on a tech web site that allows people to hire
>     web developers to hire someone to find a tech solution to the
>     Google mobile rendering problem (where Google displays an
>     inadequate "optimized" display of web pages on cell phones.) I am
>     requesting that anyone I hire for this job will license the html
>     code solution (if available) for Peacemovies.com and for free
>     distribution to the Green Party and other interested parties.
>     Caroline wants the web site to be updated with the correct contact
>     info and up to date issues and events.
>

>     9:25PM Last minute planning for Dec 8^th talk with Sharat Lin and
>     Pete O'Reilly and possibly one other speaker on the subject of War
>     and Peace with Iran, Syria and Israel/Palestine. Does the Green
>     Party want to co-sponsor this event? Do we need to pay money for
>     the venue? John is covering gas money for any out of town speakers
>     who want to speak (Peace and Freedom party invitations have been
>     sent out to people in SF). No more than 3 speakers are recommended
>     for this event.
>
>     An Iranian named Tanyer Vakili  (a friend of Leyla) has confirmed
>     that he will be speaking at the Dec 8th event on Iran, Syria and
>     Israel/Palestine.

       Drew knows a Tanyer.

Drew will try to organize a meeting between Sharat and Pete.

Spencer proposes the Green Party endorse a presentation by Sharat Lin at
the New Community of Faith Dec. 8.  We have a consensus.

John is concerned that more than one point of view be presented. Drew
has Tanyer in his class, and Tanyer talks all the time.  John

>     9:35 Meeting ends
>

>     -----Inline Attachment Follows-----

Spencer Graves, PE, PhD
President and Chief Technology Officer