[GPSCC-chat] GP CC needs to vote on this item ASAP Re: Peace Fair Beneficiary

John Thielking pagesincolor at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 3 09:25:15 PDT 2012

Sending this again as it did not go to the list the first time:

What say you, oh GP County Council re: making the SJ Peace Center be the sole beneficiary of the Holiday Peace Fair?  I say yes. What do the rest of you say?

Holiday Peace Fair Meeting Thursday 10/4 5:30-7PM

Thanks to all who replied about whether you can attend the meeting on Thursday, support for the proposal to have the San Jose Peace and Justice Center be the sole beneficiary this year, and also regarding your willingness to do important tasks to prepare for this 30th HPF. Several of the essential roles are covered even before this first meeting!

And we have confirmed the location and date for the HPF:

Saturday, December 1, back at the Campbell United Methodist Church (definitely the best location we have had for many years!)

The meeting this Thursday, October 4, will start at 5:30 PM and can last until 7 PM instead of the earlier limit of one hour. (another group's 7 PM reservation has been cancelled)   The location is the San Jose Peace and Justice Center, 48 South 7th Street (1/2 block north of San Jose State University).

In order to get the flyer and other publicity started, we need to decide on the beneficiary organization(s) at this meeting.  If you have not already, PLEASE SEND YOUR INPUT before this meeting for that decision if you or someone else from your organization cannot attend the meeting.

This is the 30th anniversary year for the HPF.  Last time we had a "big" anniversary (the 25th) the SJ Peace and Justice Center, with which most of our groups are affiliated, very much needed funds and we decided to make it the beneficiary.  In the past couple years we have not always had clear preferences for two beneficiary organizations, local and international.  The SJ Peace and Justice Center is doing a LOT of programming and definitely needs more funding for staff time.  No group has expressed opposition to the idea that we make the peace center the sole beneficiary at least for this year -- and perhaps into the foreseeable future.  The funds that are raised (and those "leftover" beyond the expenses of the HPF) are not a huge amount of money, but we could do a more vigorous job of requesting donations (in addition to the $2 ticket donations at the door from people who do not already have tickets distributed by the participant organizations).

More peace center staff time is needed so that, for example, Shelby Minister, the peace center staff, can fully function as co-chair of the HPF committee -- and hopefully become the primary organizer next year.

At this first meeting, we'll also discuss how to focus on the 30th HPF anniversary, the plan for entertainment, and several other matters.

If you have any comments/ideas that may not have been included in your organization's evaluation form after last year's HPF, please email those immediately if possible or call me.

Also please let us know who will be representing your organization at the other two HPF planning meetings, which will probably be on weekday evenings.

If your organization will not be participating in the Holiday Peace Fair this year, please let us know.

Thanks!

Joan Goddard
408-396-8039 (cell -- call anytime!)