[GPSCC-chat] web site hit count

John Thielking pagesincolor at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 27 12:13:34 PDT 2012

Don't rely too heavily on hit counters on web pages that may be using javascript or something like that to record hits.  I have found these to be notoriously unreliable.  The flag counter on www.peacemovies.com records about 1 in 20 of the actual hits to the homepage (comparing the hit counter results for the homepage to the analog site stats that I have for the entire site in my back office). If there is a back office for the GP web site that records hits to each page of the site we should use that to gauge how many real "hits" there are on any one page.  Impressions on a hit counter may not register if someone is using firefox instead of IE or if their security settings are set too high or if they are using ad blocking software or if they are using a cell phone.  Just my two cents.  For reference, my site has been getting about 20-30 hits per day. If you want to get fancy, you can add code to each page that will enable google to compile site
 stats for you that should be as reliable as the back office stats, possibly. Ask someone who knows more than I do how to set that up.  Thanks.

Sincerely,

John Thielking