[GPSCC-chat] Minutes for GPSCC Meeting April 25, 2013

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at prodsyse.com
Thu Apr 25 21:09:56 PDT 2013

On 4/25/2013 3:41 PM, perrysandy at aol.com wrote:
 > SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT
 >
 > We will have THREE speakers at our meeting this evening at 7 pm from
the local single payer heath care movement:

 > Katherine Bock, co-chair of the Santa Clara County Single Payer
Health Care Coalition and Director of the Low-Income Self-Help Center, and

 > Shruthi and Swathi Bhuma from CAHPSA (California Health Professional
Student Alliance)(which is also affiliated with our local health care
coalition).

 > Here is a link to an article about our recent Andrew Hill Health Fair
http://www.siliconvalleydebug.org/articles/2013/04/21/health-wealth-when-community-organizes-it

Low-Income Self-Help Center since 1998. Interested in class & race. How
we build relationships that build a movement. ELI (extremely-low
income). Get help from other organizations including CWA (Communications
Workers of America).

CAHPSA began in 2004. American Medical Students Assocation (AMSA). Cindy
Delacruz.
2 students in 2004 to over 5,000 today.

SG: From an economic perspective, the best response to infectious
diseases is to ensure that anyone who might have have an infectious
disease get competent medical heal ASAP.

Coalition of Santa Clara County
 > 7:30 pm – Begin meeting
 >
 > Select Facilitator: Warner.

 > Note taker: Spencer

 > , Time keeper: John T.

 > , and Vibes watcher(s); Tian.

 > Select Agenda Preparer: Caroline

 > for next meeting; Affirm or modify draft agenda (5 Minutes)

Warner Bloomberg with the Green Party since 1974: Please contact Warner
to review the agenda packet for the state Green Party meeting in June.

Drew Johnson, Katherine Bock, Spencer Graves, Swathi Bhuma, Sandy Perry,

Alice Cabral, Marshal Quackenbush (Santa Clara U.)

John Thielking, Tian Harter, Fred D.

 > Introductions and Announcements (10 Minutes)
 >

 > Treasurer’s Report – Note: 3 tote bags ordered about a year ago
finally received -- Jim Doyle (5 minutes)

$1,700.68 + $12 raised from button sales at San Jose State on Tuesday.
(plus $20 selling 2 shirts). + $1.50 health fair

+ collection = $1,780.18.

Request for Endorsement – March on Monsanto May 25th -- Local event: at
St. James Park.

Tian to ask Diane Solomon on the location

Jim Doyle: We'd like to have someone attending the planning meeting.
Sandy: That creates an obstacle to wider participation in more events.
No unresolved concerns. No unresolved concerns. Warner will communicate back

– Warner (and anyone else who wants to present) (10 minutes)

** info was posted on the email list: SJ Peace & Justice Center asked
for the Green Party to endorse.

 > Additional Proposal for criteria for guest speakers at meetings /
continued from March meeting – Jim Doyle (15 Minutes)

 > Jim Doyle Proposal:
 >
 > THE SPEAKER SHOULD PROVIDE US WITH INFORMATION, DATA, OR TECHNIQUES
THAT WILL HELP US IMPROVE OUR VOTER REGISTRATION, FUNDRAISING, AND GET
OUT THE VOTE EFFORTS. For example, a union organizer, a community leader
or activist, a community leader from an ethnic group. The topic should
reflect the ten key values.

Concern: This seems to exclude health care and climate change.

Jim will present a revision at a future meeting.

 > Presentation of proposed GPSCC Bylaws amendment to expand County
Council authority between monthly general membership meetings /
continued from March meeting – Text of proposal needed -- Jim Doyle
 > (10 Minutes)

County Council should take care of endorsements and report back on the
next meeting: If the County Council can't consense, it will be brought
to the next meeting.

Specific text will be proposed for the next meeting.

 > Discussion about locals – Jim Doyle (10 Minutes)
 >
 > Update report on Middle East speaker program being organized by local
Peace and Freedom Party members (continued from February 28th meeting) –
John Thielking (10 Minutes)

 > Discussion of status of tabling supplies – Order Platform summaries?
How many? Presenter? – (10 Minutes)

We violently need tabling supplies in non-English languages.

Caroline will make a list of documents to translate into other languages
and non-English languages.

"trans121.com" can produce a crude first draft, but it would need to be
polished by someone fluent in the language.

 > Reports from April tabling events – Participants (10)
 >
 > Plans for May/June Tabling (with thanx to Valerie for research and
suggestions) – Need to identify event coordinators -- (15 Minutes)

May 1: DeAnza Green Party "Club" will have an event. Drew will speak.
Sandy will have a table. He has literature. He could use buttons.
Caroline will put some on the chair on her front porch. Drew will pick
them up.

 > Mountain View Ala Carte & Arts Festival May 4th-5th? Tian to
coordinate with Valerie about this. 6 spots, first come, first served,
starting at 9 AM.

 > Berryessa Arts & Wine Festiveal Saturday May 11th: Maybe not.

 > Campbell Boogie on the Bayou May 18th-19th (2 Hour restriction?):
Business booths $700.

 > Morgan Hill Mushroomn Mardi Gras May 24th-25th (fees expensive)

 > Sunnyvale Arts & Wine Festival June 1st-2nd (restrictive rules) 10 AM
- 6 PM 2 days: Caroline and Drew will coordinate. Tian and John will
assist.

 > Juneteenth in San Jose???

 > Others???
 >
 > Discussion: “Next steps for the single payer health care movement,
upcoming activities, role of the Green Party in building the movement
and how we can work in the movement more effectively to build the Green
Party” -- Sandy Perry (30 Minutes)

*** Campaign for a Healthy California has a 5 year plan: building a
grass roots movement, collecting funds, and have it ready by 2017 -- to
apply for state innovation waiver in Obamacare in 2017.

Proposed: We form a Universal Health Care Action committee with Sandy
and Carolie as co-coordinators plus Jim Doyle as a member. We have
universal consensus.

--
Spencer Graves, PE, PhD
President and Chief Technology Officer