[GPSCC-chat] Fwd: WaterWired

Wes Rolley wrolley at charter.net
Mon Aug 19 11:26:15 PDT 2013

I know that I post a lot of things about water but here is another. If
you have any interest in what is happening concerning water, especially
groundwater, then read this post by Michael Campagna.  He is a professor
of hydrology at Oregon State and an internationally recognized expert on
water.

I post this because the pumping of groundwater to support agriculture is
one of the big issues associated with the water war over the CA Delta.
Consider the fate of Alviso from pumping too much water.  Consider also
that some parts of the San Joaquin Valley, though not now 7 ft. below
sea level like Alviso, have dropped 21 ft. due to groundwater
withdrawals.  We can not make withdrawals from the natural economy to
support the human economy without consequences.

Wes