[GPSCC-chat] President Obama's statements on Syria conflict

Brian Good snug.bug at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 31 12:17:22 PDT 2013

"I believe I have the authority to carry out this military action without specific Congressional authorization", Obama said.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2013/08/31/obama-makes-statement-on-syria/2751085/

He is asserting the neo-fascistic doctrine of the Unitary Executive when he claims he has the power to go it alone, and everybody who applauds his "decision" to consult Congress--as if he had  any legal choice in the matter--is facilitating that doctrine.

By putting the burden on Congress to punish Assad's alleged use of chemicals, he is distracting from the fact that Congress has no more legal right than he has to wage war on a country that is not a military threat to us.  The debate about "should we or shouldn't we?" and "should Congress decide or Obama?" miss the point.  We can't.  Should is not an option.

It is the job of the United Nations to punish crimes against humanity. Vigilante actions on humanitarian pretexts are poor precedent.   They have been abused many times--which is why the checks and balances have been legislated by the UN charter.   In furthering the Unitary Executive doctrine Obama is furthering the USA's status as a rogue terrorist state.