[GPSCC-chat] IRV discussion January 7, 6 PM, Santa Clara County Citizens' Advisory Commission on Elections

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at prodsyse.com
Fri Dec 6 16:08:44 PST 2013

Hello All:

       Instant Runoff Voting (IRV) is on the agenda for the January 7
meeting of the Santa Clara County Citizens' Advisory Commission on
Elections;  6 PM Isaac Newton Senter Auditorium, First Floor, County
Government Center, 70 West Hedding St., San José, CA.

       I will provide more information later.  It is my understanding
that IRV was tentatively approved for Santa Clara County several years
ago subject to the availability of voting equipment that could support
that.  I've heard that they now have acceptable hardware, but it may
require a software upgrade for which there could be an additional fee.

       I'm also told that some people actively oppose IRV.  This
includes some in the leadership of the Santa Clara County League of
Women Voters, though the national League has endorsed it.

       I encourage you to put this on your calendar and plan to attend
if you can.  It could make the difference in a decision on whether to
use IRV in Santa Clara County.

       More later.
       Spencer

--