[GPSCC-chat] Ongoing Issues Campaigns

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at prodsyse.com
Wed Feb 27 19:45:00 PST 2013

Hello, All:

       At last month's meeting, Sandy made a call for a special session
to discuss trying to select a few primary foci for Green party
activities going forward.  We expect everyone to continue working on
their primary concerns.  However, if most of us can spend some time on
the selected primary foci, it could raise the profile of the Green party
and make us all more effective in our joint and individual efforts.
Last night, Jim Doyle, Valerie, Caroline, Sandy, Andrea, Gerry, Dana,
Brian, and I met and Warner joined us by phone.

       We all agreed to post a summary of this discussion to the general
list, to discuss it further at the monthly meeting Thursday evening, and
to carry over the discussion until the March 28 meeting.  My summary
appears below.  Others, whether they attended or not, are hereby invited
to contribute to this discussion.  The issue on this list could serve as
a focus for recruiting outside speakers and providing a focus for
discussion in our  our monthly meetings, in addition to other things we
could do with this list.

             1.  CANDIDATES FOR LOCAL OFFICE:  Someone suggested we
weren't really a political party if we didn't field local candidates.
There will be elections this November 5 for various offices in Santa
Clara County marked UDEL on the "Local Jurisdiction Election Schedule"
published by the Santa Clara County Registrar of Voters
(www.sccgov.org/sites/rov/Candidate%20-%20Measure%20Information/Documents/Local-Jurisdiction-Election-Schedule.pdf).
There are a number of school boards, plus water, sanitation and other
districts with elections this year.  More will have elections in 2014.
You are encouraged to review this list and volunteer to run for one of
these offices if you are so eligible. Doing so would give the group a
focus for fund raising and campaigning.  I'm thinking of running for
something like the Santa Clara County Unified School district in 2014.
If I'm going to do that, I should select the office soon, start
attending official meetings relating to that office, writing news
stories and blogging about the issues they discuss and the ones I think
they should discuss.  Sandy suggested we should avoid running for school
boards unless we "have children in the schools and have not been
involved in local school issues. ... [W]e should still ask that any
prospective Green candidate be knowlegeable and credible on the issues
involved" for whatever office they choose to run.  I agree.  I don't
have children in this district, but I've long been concerned about
education.  I've long wanted to prepare a budget combining education and
criminal justice, because much of the prison population are school
dropouts, and recidivism is lower among those with more education.
That's why I think I should select the office, start attending the
appropriate public meetings, and writing news stories and blogging about
them very soon if I'm going to run.

             2.  VOTER REGISTRATION:  I suggest we all consider starting
carrying voter registration forms more or less everywhere we go and
invite people who aren't registered to do so and invite people
registered under other parties to reregister Green.

             3.  GLOBAL WARMING:  A majority of the attendees last night
identified this as a major issue deserving of attention by all sentient
beings.  I personally believe that one thing we can do that could have a
very large impact on this issue (and others) is to identify the big
money interests blocking progress on this issue following the format
being developed under the "Documenting crony capitalism" initiative
(http://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/Documenting_crony_capitalism;  I'm
biased:  I'm the originator of this project).

             4.  UNIVERSAL HEALTH CARE:  Many other issues were
mentioned, but there seemed to be more energy and concern about health
care for all than other issues.  As with global warming, it would help
to prepare persuasive summaries of the vested interests that make huge
amounts of money at public expense sustaining the current dysfunctions
with something like the "Documenting crony capitalism" initiative
mentioned above.

             5.  OTHERS:  the distribution of wealth in the US
(including cooperatives, foreclosures and homelessness), our corrupt
political system (including the California
Disclose act, the need for full public funding of political campaigns
and a constitution amendment to overturn "Citizens United", Move to Amend,
), defense (including the global arms trade), education (from prenatal
through college at affordable rates), our criminal injustice system, the
death penalty, immigration reform, marriage equality, native rights, GMO
foods, gun violence, peace movies, wildlife conservation, transportation
(incl bicycle & pedestrian, water quality and other traditional Green
environmental issues, and outreach to local colleges and universities
and the Peace and Freedom party.  Each issue (other than outreach)
involves a set of vested interests who make substantial amounts of money
from the current dysfunctions.  The money made by each of these groups
at public expense should be documented along with their campaign
contributions and lobbying expenses as part of the "Documenting crony
capitalism" initiative, as mentioned above.

       Please respond here or at the meeting Thursday evening to these
comments.

       Spencer

--
Spencer Graves, PE, PhD