[GPSCC-chat] Minutes; Thursday February28-th

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at prodsyse.com
Thu Feb 28 21:15:36 PST 2013

Please post any corrections to the entire list.  Thanks.  Spencer

On 2/28/2013 10:54 AM, Jim Doyle wrote:
> It is attached as a word document and in case the attachment
> is scrubbed here it is
>
> GREEN PARTY OF SANTA CLARA COUNTY
> Meeting agenda for February 28, 2013
>
> Select Facilitator:  Jim Doyle

> Notetaker: Spencer

> , Timekeeper:  John T.

> , Vibes Watcher:  Tian

> , Agenda Preparer for next meetin:  Warner

Josh, Lawrence, Rollin,

Dave K., Peace & Freedom Party

Pete O, Peace & Freedom Party:  Protest tomorrow (Friday) in San
Francisco at the Israeli embassy 4-6 PM.  Peace vigil 5-6 in front of
the King Library, San Jose

John Thielking

Frank, Kaitlin, Taylor, Jacob,

Sandy Perry

Spencer Graves

Tian,

Michael,

Warner, Andrea Dorey

Graham

Jim Doyle

Dana, Jimmie, ...

> 5 min
>
> Introductions and Announcements 10 min 15 min if guests are present
>
> Agenda revisions 5 min
>
> Treasurer’s report Jim D 2 min

$1,721.54 balance.  The drop in the bank balance:  Jill Stein event in
Palo Alto.  Paid $510 for rental.  Proceeds went to Stein for President
campaign.

> Endorsing SB 52 Jim D 3 min

       Campaign kickoff Saturday March 9, 2-4 PM in Palo Alto.  Sen.
Mark Leno and Jerry Hill + Trent Lange, President of the CA Clean Money
Campaign.  Unitarian Universalist Church, 505 E. Charlston, Palo Alto.
(www.caclean.org).  Jim to send the annoucement to the Discuss list,
Tian will forward to the Announce list.

> Tabling
> April 13 Andrew Hill Health Fair Caroline and Sandy 5 min

       Fourth annual heath fair sponsored by the Single Payer Health
Coalition at Andrew Hill.  10 - 2, Saturday, April 13.  Capital & Senter
Rd, Andrew Hill High School.

> April 27 Junior State Jim D 1 min

       Marriott in Santa Clara.  all day.

Barryessa Arts & Wine Festival:  Jim usually gets a notice and hasn't
received one yet.

Earth Day in April:  Rawley will provide the list of when this is, and
whom we should contact.  Sandy will look into it for De Anza.

> Reports on presentations at Oak Grove High School Sandy and Jim 5 min

       Greg Barnett, instructor.  Will invite us back.  Invites
Republicans, Democrats, Libertarians, ... .

       List Jim Doyle for a Green Speakers' bureau on the web site. The
question of what to put there?

> Drew's status reports part 1 Drew 5 min
> DeAnza podcasts web site
>
> committee report re organised ongoing campaigns Sandy et al 20 min
> criteria for selecting primary focus
> goals of primary focus

       We have a problem with the Green party of Santa Clara County with
lack of focus.  It would be useful to have more direction and less
general discussion.  A list of ~ 20 issues was sent to the email list.
Two primary issues:

             1.  Climate change.

             2.  Health care for all / single payer health care.

             * Other:  anti-war, Iran, Syria, ...

To grow as a party, we need to more closely connect with the issues that
concern people.

> invited speaker criteria for the Green Party Monthly Meetings - 5 min

       The County Council should make arrangements and announce the
speaker at least 2 weeks before the next meeting.  Spencer will contact
Gerry Gras to see if he can help arrange a speaker for the March
meeting.  Sandy will work to get a speaker for the April meeting.
Spencer to notify Warner for the agenda.

> including planning for an author to speak held jointly with the
> Peace and "Freedom Party John T 5 min

       Peace & Freedom Party wants to organize an event.  The wanted to
find someone to speak about.  Contact Jewish Voice for Peace, Middle
East Children's Alliance, Code Pink.

> SGA delegates and proper county council election or appointment
> procedures
> and GPCA-votes offer to use Nationbuilder for blast email Jim D 10 min

       Jim Doyle to organize an agenda item on this for the next meeting.

       County Council on the SGA will will post something to the Discuss
list about this.

> no brainers to county council (bylaws change?) group 5 min

       Check the bylaws:  Procedure is something like to bring precise
text to a meeting, discuss it at that meeting, then vote in the next
meeting.

> Drew's status reports part 2 Drew 5 min

       A2K (access to knowledge) OER (open educational resources):
effort at De Anza.
> camp Wellstone civi crm google hangout
>
> post cards to P&F and or no party preference group 10 min
> postage rates Jim D 2 min

       Andrea will research this and post to the discuss list.

       Money Mailer:  5.5 cents per household 2 sided of half a sheet of
paper.

> web site (archive most of the front page, get the next meeting date
> right) Jim D 5 min

       Tian will contact Valerie.  They will decide what changes they
want to see and contact Spencer.

> GPCA merchandise Clearing House Jim D 2 min

       Contact Starley Rankin in Sacramento and maybe Cindy:  Jim to ask
for the tote bags or a refund.

FEEDBACK FROM THE STUDENTS:

Californians for Electoral Reform:  Instant runoff voting, etc. (cfer.org)

Santa Clara U. Prof. Christopher Bacon, cbacon at scu.edu; 408-551-3082.