[GPSCC-chat] Guns

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at structuremonitoring.com
Sat Jan 19 20:56:07 PST 2013

       If anyone knows about research on this, I'd be interested.  I
think I remember hearing reports that suggest that Great Britain had
fewer homicides in the past when the police carried only night sticks
than they do today when police (and therefore more thieves and robbers)
carry firearms.

       Today's Mercury News has a story about "Luis Ricardo Hernandez,
26, who is being held in Santa Clara County Jail on $1 million bail in
the death of 36-year-old Christopher Soriano of San Jose.  Hernandez was
a maintenance worker at the Summer Breeze apartments when on Dec. 31 he
and a supervisor reportedly tried to perform a citizen's arrest on
Soriano, who they suspected of burglarizing cars at the complex. In an
ensuing physical confrontation, police said, Hernandez shot Soriano, who
later died. ... According to authorities, Hernandez's maintenance
supervisor at the apartments on Lewis Road noticed a truck and
remembered it being around the time of previous burglaries. The
supervisor told investigators that based on what he felt was inadequate
police response to prior calls, he didn't believe officers would come.
He enlisted Hernandez's help to detain the driver, since identified as
Soriano, until they could get police to show up."
(www.mercurynews.com/crime-courts/ci_22404350/supporters-rally-petition-san-jose-man-charged-murder)

       Based on this report, I think the situation could have been
handled better using cameras than a firearm:  First take pictures of the
truck, especially the license plate.  Then start taking pictures of the
alleged burglar -- from a distance -- while calling police.  Continue
taking pictures, and don't try to confront the guy:  He could have been
armed, and there's no point in risking your life to protect property --
especially of relatively modest value.

       However, individual protection seems NOT to have been a primary
motivation for the second amendment:  "A well regulated militia being
necessary to the defense of a free state, the right of the people to
keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."  The defenders of the second
amendment seem bent on suggesting guns are necessary to protect
individual liberties from encroachments by the state.  The best research
I know on this is Chenoweth and Stephan (2011) Why Civil Resistance
Works: The Strategic Logic of Nonviolent Conflict (Columbia U. Pr.).
They led a collaborative effort that created a database representing a
consensus among leading experts on violent and nonviolent change efforts
in the twentieth century focusing on campaigns that ended between 1902
and 2006.  Their experts identified 105 nonviolent change efforts and
218 violent movements.  Full or partial success was achieved by 53% of
the nonviolent campaigns but only 26% of the violent efforts.  Success
in virtually all cases was achieved in large part through defections
from the established authorities, and the leaders key supporters were
more likely to defect when confronted with nonviolent resistance than
violence.  Moreover, the nonviolent successes were followed years later
by an improvement in Freedom Scores from Freedom House of 2.68 vs. only
1.52 for violent change efforts.

       Spencer