[GPSCC-chat] publicly generated electricity

Jim Doyle j.m.doyle at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jan 26 18:27:07 PST 2013

Good Folks,

I am the treasurer of the Green Party of the Pikes Peak Region (in
central Colorado).
The largest city in our area is Colorado Springs (330 k people).  That
city recently
decided to change from a City Manager (directed by the City Council that
included the
Mayor) to a "Strong Mayor" form of government.  This is a very
conservative area.

So they elected a real estate developer to be their first Strong Mayor.
Within a year Mayor Bach
proposed that our city should get out of the electricity generating
business.  He said that the city
owned, coal burning, Drake Power-plant was ugly, old and sitting on
valuable land.
He suggests dismantling Drake and buying electricity from private
generators.

I moved from California in 2009.  While there I remember an extended,
sad episode that
probably embarrassed most Californians.  This was the decision of that
state to get out the
generating business and buy electricity from private suppliers. County
and state leaders told
us that electricity rates would decline.  The state would also reap a
windfall from the sale of
all its generating stations.

As you know, Enron and other private electricity suppliers proceeded to
brutally rape CA
ratepayers.  Black-outs rolled repeatedly across most of our major
cities.  Investigations
showed that many key decision makers had been bought off  (many with
offers of extremely
lucrative jobs after the transfer to private suppliers).

*This is where (hopefully) you come in.  I expect that you are all handy
with a pen.
Also you probably have a keen eye for powerful prose.  Can you please
send me the
hardest hitting short essays that you know of lambasting those key CA
decision makers
that sold out their fellow citizens for big $ with the private electric
generators?*

Out here, we don't know for certain that Mayor Bach is trying to pull
the same stunt . . . but it sure
 looks and smells like it!

               Thanks for your time and consideration,
                         Joseph Mitchener