[GPSCC-chat] Sign, circulate CA DISCLOSE Act petition

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at prodsyse.com
Fri Jul 19 19:34:56 PDT 2013

Hello, All:

       If you haven't already, could you please download and sign the
current petition for the California DISCLOSE Act
(www.caclean.org/content/pdf/ccmc_sb52_petition.pdf
<http://www.caclean.org/content/pdf/ccmc_sb52_petition.pdf>)?

       This would require political ads to identify their primary
sources of funds, e.g., "Monsanta" rather than "Citizens for Healthy
Food".  The Santa Clara Greens endorsed it some time ago.  The bill
passed the Senate on May 29.  To become law this year, it must get a 2/3
vote in the Assembly by September 13.  To support that, the California
Clean Money campaign is asking for help in collecting 10,000 signatures
statewide -- 250 in San José.  They want real ink on physical pieces of
paper, because that counts more with legislators than mouse clicks ;-)

       After the California DISCLOSE Act becomes law, they then plan to
switch to something like citizen-funded elections and news, as described
in the Wikipedia article on "Electoral reform in the United States"
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electoral_reform_in_the_United_States).

       I plan to bring copies of this petition to the meeting next week,
so people who haven't already signed can do it then -- and people who
have collected signatures can give the forms to me to save postage.

       Thanks,
       Spencer

--
Spencer Graves, PE, PhD