[GPSCC-chat] Silicon Valley Wealth and Power

Gerry Gras gerrygras at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 30 11:41:59 PDT 2013

FYI,

TomDispatch has an item,
"Rebecca Solnit, How to Act Like a Billionaire",
which is an intro by Tom Englehart plus a column by Rebecca Solnit,
"Welcome to the (Don’t Be) Evil Empire ... Google Eats the World".

This was published on June 25th, before the Inhofe fundraiser.

First paragraph (of Solnit's column):
Finally, journalists have started criticizing in earnest the leviathans
of Silicon Valley, notably Google, now the world’s third-largest company
in market value. The new round of discussion began even before the
revelations that the tech giants were routinely sharing our data with
the National Security Agency, or maybe merging with it. Simultaneously
another set of journalists, apparently unaware that the weather has
changed, is still sneering at San Francisco, my hometown, for not lying
down and loving Silicon Valley’s looming presence.