[GPSCC-chat] Higher One's financial aid toll both ratified by FHDA unTrustees Board

Drew rainbeaufriend at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 4 13:05:42 PDT 2013

I and 15 other students testified before the Foothill De Anza trustee board last night to plead they not renew the contract with Higher One (see story below).  I said to them I didn't think they should be rewarding what I called "abusive corporate behavior" and I compared it to robing a bank where you take just a penny off many accounts and steal a fortune. Someone else used the word. They did it anyway.  I was very disappointed though not surprised.  In my opinion Higher One essentially bought off the board of trustees by only charging them $5,000 a year to run the program (ie. all the money they'll be raking from the student's financial aid that the taxpayers are paying for will more than make up for anything they are giving up) and promising to mend their ways.

The only bright spots:  The students really shone!  We got lots of positive attention for having mobilized and spoken out.  They did move to 1) have a committee to include students which would address student grievances and to 2) make an (rather patronizing IMO) effort to educate students about "financial literacy" (big hint: don't use the Higher One card - switch to something else).

Green is GO!

Drew

~*~*~*~
Dr. Jill Stein and Cheri Honkala leading the 100 member Green Shadow Cabinet to A Green New Deal for America
http://greenshadowcabinet.us

Dr. Stein's Campaign website:  http://www.jillstein.org/
Climate Voter Power Pledge: http://www.jillstein.org/dc_climate_protests
     First TV Ad http://tinyurl.com/JillStein1stAd