[GPSCC-chat] PROPOSED AGENDA GPSCC MEETING THURS JUNE 27

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at prodsyse.com
Sun Jun 23 09:04:50 PDT 2013

Hi, Sandy et al.:

       1.  There needs to be an election for the County Council,
announced in an email May 24 and on our web site since then. (This
should take only about 5 minutes unless someone wishes to volunteer to
join our county council or dispute some of our current members.

*** WE NEED AT LEAST 20 SIGNATURES ON NOMINATING PETITIONS OF PEOPLE
REGISTERED GREEN IN SANTA CLARA COUNTY.  IF YOU MIGHT NOT BE ABLE TO
ATTEND, COULD YOU PLEASE PRINT THE PETITION I EMAILED JUNE 4, SIGN IT,
AND GET IT BACK TO ME (EITHER A SCANNED IMAGE OR BY USPS)?  IF YOU CAN'T
PRINT OR CAN'T FIND THAT PETITION, PLEASE LET ME KNOW.  If we have 20
valid signatures, we can have the election.  Otherwise, we need a plan
to get the remaining signatures we need.  In either case, we could
probably dispense with this item in 5 minutes.

       2.  Could we discuss and vote on a resolution something like the
following:

             * The Green Party of Santa Clara County supports the
following initiatives for electoral reform:  Overturning Citizens
United, citizen-funded election and news, the US and California Disclose
Acts, the National Popular Vote Interstate Compact (that requires
participating states to commit all their electoral votes to the
candidate who wins the popular vote), and Instant-runoff voting (as
outlined in the Wikipedia article on "Electoral reform in the United
States").  The Green Party of Santa Clara County will collaborate with
all other organizations working to pass these issues including getting
supporting resolutions passed at local and state levels as appropriate.
This includes in particular Move to Amend and Rootstrikers.

*** NOTE:  These issues are discussed in the Wikipedia article on
"Electoral reform in the United States".  (I've been editing that
article and could use input from any of you on how it could be improved.)

       Thanks,
       Spencer

On 6/21/2013 10:16 AM, perrysandy at aol.com wrote:
> Please send additions or changes. Thanks!  Sandy
> Proposed Agenda---June 27, 2013 Green Party Meeting
> 7:00-7:30 No speaker has been proposed for this month.
> 7:30-7:45 Identify facilitator, Note Taker, Vibes Watcher, Time Keeper
> and Agenda preparer
> Intros and announcements. Additions or corrections to agenda.
> 7:45-8:30 Health Care Committee report. Proposed September 6 Health
> Care Movie showing with panel
> discussion including a Green Party speaker. Prospects for building
> Green Party membership in
> the course of fighting for single payer health care.

       Do you have a venue?  That date is available in the Peace Center
calendar.  You could reserve it now, then cancellater if you decide you
want a different date or location.

> 8:30-8:45 Report on May 29 Day of Action, June 6 Obama protest and
> other climate change activities.
> 8:45-9:00 Report back by delegates from State meeting, June 22-23.
> 9:00-9:05 Treasurer report -- pass the hat.
> 9:05-9:15 Discuss showing "Over Troubled Waters"
> 9:15-9:25 Report on tabling/participation at March vs Monsanto, De
> Anza, Juneteenth
> 9:25-9:30 July tabling plans.

Spencer Graves, PE, PhD
President and Chief Technology Officer