[GPSCC-chat] Fw: Important Announcement for Single Payer Supporters

Caroline Yacoub carolineyacoub at att.net
Sat Mar 2 13:28:43 PST 2013

----- Forwarded Message ----
From: Health Care for All - California <info at healthcareforall.org>
To: carolineyacoub at att.net
Sent: Wed, February 27, 2013 5:47:06 PM
Subject: Important Announcement for Single Payer Supporters

Dear Supporter,

For the first time in ten years, there will not be a single payer bill before
the legislature in California this session. It is not for lack of trying. Since
last summer Health Care for All - California and our coalition partners met with
legislator after legislator but none were persuaded to carry forth a
single-payer bill in 2013. Many of you also helped by making important phone
calls. Thank you! Our legislators told us that their focus is on the
implementation of the Affordable Care Act (Obamacare).
Now that we have Obamacare, more Americans will get health insurance than ever
before, and we support that. Now that we have Obamacare, MediCal is going to
expand, and we support that. Now that we have Obamacare, our legislators and
government agencies will be busy implementing the law of the land, and we accept
that. But what we can not support and do not accept are people suffering or
dying because they still don't qualify for health insurance and do not qualify
for a government plan.
Health Care for All - California can not accept that and neither should the
great state of California or those who govern it.
	* Three to four million Californians will still be left without any insurance.
	* People will continue to suffer or die simply from lack of coverage.
	* Multiple insurance companies with high overheads costs will remain in the
system.
	* Overhead costs will increase with the complex bureaucracy needed to monitor
the laws.
	* Skyrocketing premiums will not be controlled.
	* Undocumented individuals will not be allowed to participate in the new
exchange.
What are the next steps forward?
The ACA has a provision for states to develop and implement their own plans and
to apply for a waiver in 2017. HCA will continue to get the message out as we
increase our efforts in:
	* Educating legislators and the public
	* Building grass roots support
	* Building coalitions
	* Developing plans for the transition from the ACA to single-payer
 We believe everyone deserves comprehensive, quality, affordable health care.
Our work is to explain to people how single payer works, and why it’s better
than the insurance they may or may not get under Obamacare.
We need each and every one of you to become ambassadors for continued health
care reform, and help spread the word to your friends, family and colleagues.

Together we’ll work side by side to empower our communities so that the next
time around, no legislator can ignore the will of his or her constituents.

Health care is a human right; single payer is our future!
Health Care for All - California
Take action!
	* Visit the HCA website
	* Forward to a Friend
	* Join our mailing list
	* Follow us on Facebook
More about HCA
	* Who We Are
	* Our Mission
	* What We Believe
	* What We Do

You are subscribed to Health Care for All - California as
carolineyacoub at att.net.
Click here to unsubscribe