[GPSCC-chat] Finance industry in the United States and targeting April 15?

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at effectivedefense.org
Tue Mar 19 03:59:11 PDT 2013

Hello, All:

	  The "Documenting crony capitalism" initiative I announced to this
group in early February now includes a relatively complete draft of a
Wikiversity article on "Finance industry in the United States"
(http://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/Finance_industry_in_the_United_States).
Bottom line:  This industry has invested roughly $500 million annually
for the past 15 years or so in lobbying and campaign contributions and
has received an estimated $160 for each $1 so invested.

	  If you get time to review this and have questions, concerns or ideas
for improvement, please either email me or make some changes yourself to
that article.

	  What do you thing should be a next primary topic for more research in
"Documenting crony capitalism"?

	  What do you think about trying to create an article on "Tax
preparation in the United States" with a target of providing background
for a blog on April 15 or 16?  People who have read Lessig (2011)
"Republic, Lost" may remember that (on pp. 200-201) he notes that the
federal and state tax services could fairly easily send a draft tax
return to every taxpayer.  If the draft is acceptable, you just sign and
return it (with a check if you owe anything).  Or you can complete and
file a return as you do now.

	  California experimented with such a system, "ReadyReturn", a few
years ago.  Intuit, the producer of TurboTax, spent over $1.7 million to
kill this program.  We could potentially research the amount of money
contributed by Intuit, H&R Block, and other companies involved in tax
advice and preparation to candidates for federal and state offices, both
total and for individual incumbents.  We could them further encourage
people to contact their elected representatives, noting the amounts they
reportedly received and asking what they think about simplifying the
annual tax preparation ritual by having the revenue services send draft
tax returns to citizens.

	  If you like this idea, a shell of a Wikiversity article on it is
available at
"http://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/Tax_preparation_in_the_United_States"
waiting for someone individual or group to provide details.  I put it on
Wikiversity, because (a) anyone can edit it there, and (b) Wikimedia
provides infrastructure that supports collaborative development of
material like this of high quality (including effective procedures for
conflict resolution and management of sabotage).

       What do you think?
       Best Wishes,
       Spencer

p.s.  Don't get angry:  Get curious.  Look for information to explain
why the system is like it is and use that information to ask public
officials first for help in understanding it.  If they claim to want to
fix it, ask them for suggestions on what common citizens can do about it.

p.p.s.  Thanks to Jim Doyle and others who made very constructive
suggestions for improving the introductory article on "Documenting crony
capitalism".  It's much better now than it was in early February, partly
because of the questions and suggestions I received.

--
Spencer Graves, PhD
Executive Director