[GPSCC-chat] Economic snafu?

Gerry Gras gerrygras at earthlink.net
Wed May 15 00:48:44 PDT 2013

It's now one month after the Herndon, Ash, Pollin (HAP)
paper,
http://www.peri.umass.edu/236/hash/31e2ff374b6377b2ddec04deaa6388b1/publication/566/
,
was released showing errors and controversial
aspects of the Reinhart Rogoff paper,
http://www.reinhartandrogoff.com/related-research/growth-in-a-time-of-debt-featured-in
.

The conversation continues among those concerned about
economic matters.  Opinions range from "austerity is
dead" to "nothing has changed".

I am still shocked that such basic errors could go
undetected for over 3 years, despite the importance
of the paper in the real world.

I think Paul Krugman has a fairly good explanation
in the New York Review of Books.  It's a bit long,
but I think well worth it, considering the topic.
http://www.nybooks.com/articles/archives/2013/jun/06/how-case-austerity-has-crumbled/

I think the story of how the errors came to light is
interesting.

Apparently it was not easy to get the data:
http://www.cepr.net/index.php/blogs/beat-the-press/not-following-professional-ethics-matters-also

I think how Herndon (a graduate student) found the errors
is interesting and funny:
http://www.businessinsider.com/thomas-herndon-replication-exercise-2013-4
http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/425749/april-23-2013/austerity-s-spreadsheet-error---thomas-herndon

Gerry