[GPSCC-chat] agenda items so far

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at prodsyse.com
Wed May 22 19:30:16 PDT 2013

       Could we also add to the agenda a discussion of political reform
initiatives including Move to Amend and Rootstrikers?  I'd also like to
see this on the agenda for the state-wide meeting.

       Lawrence Lessig, Harvard Law Prof and founder of Rootstrikers,
calls campaign finance the "gateway" problem, in the sense that we
cannot make progress on any of the other issues facing the nation
without fixing this first.  Media scholar Robert McChesney claims we
have two gateway problems:  how we fund elections and news.  On May 7,
the San José City Council passed a resolution calling for a
constitutional amendment stating that "money isn't speech" and campaign
contributions and expenditures can be regulated and limited by Congress
and the States.  I think the Green Party should officially support Move
to Amend, Rootstrikers and related initiatives.  Some of my thoughts in
this area are available at
"https://docs.google.com/document/d/1dZdlcsaArsaX-LKwfk7UezjbOnL5ejHVclPr7Un-uFg/edit?usp=sharing".
Some of Lessig's most recent comments on this are available in his
recent TED talk on "We the People, and the Republic we must reclaim"
(www.ted.com/talks/lawrence_lessig_we_the_people_and_the_republic_we_must_reclaim.html
<http://www.ted.com/talks/lawrence_lessig_we_the_people_and_the_republic_we_must_reclaim.html>).

       Spencer

Spencer Graves, PE, PhD