[GPSCC-chat] minutes of May 23 Green Party Meeting

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at prodsyse.com
Fri May 24 00:18:49 PDT 2013

Please post any additions or corrections to this list.

On 5/23/2013 9:38 AM, John Thielking wrote:
> We still need to have a discussion about selling the Peacemovies.com
> 2011 and 2012 booklets. That could go under tabling or fundraising.
> Also, Tian still has not contacted me about putting T-shirts on my web
> site for sale. It would be nice if we have a line on getting more
> shirts than our current stock, just in case my direct mail campaign
> goes as good as I hope and I get lots of orders off the web site. Thanks.
> John Thielking

Lisa Altieri, co-founder 350 Silicon Valley:  Our sole focus is climate
change.  70% of the US is

Search for Yale Communications on Climate

FIVE GROUPS:
16% of the US are alarmed
25-30 of the US are concerned
              cautious
total:  70%

_____________
8% climate deniers

All 3 groups (alarmed, concerned, cautious) don't know what to do. Our
job is to help these people understand.

A carbon tax done sensibly would make most people better off, create
jobs;  The people hurt would be fossil fuel interests.

Politically active on the environment for over 20 years and with 350.org
since it was founded in 2009.

In Silicon Valley we have 4 campaigns and about to start a fifth:

        1.  divestment (Calpers working on this).  For us to stay below
2 degrees C global warming, we need to stay below 565 gigatons CO2;  the
reserves are roughly 5 times this number.  At our current rate of
consumption, we will blow by that 565 in 15 years.

        2.  Keystone XL pipeline:  amount matching what humanity has
burned already.

       3.  Cap & trade or carbon tax.

       4.  outreach.

       5.  local action.

350 is international:  They've had demonstrations in every country
except North Korea.

4:30-6:30 Thursday, June 6, in Palo Alto:  demonstration 350.org, Credo,
Sierra Club, ..., near intersection of Middlefield and University.

>     7:30-7:45 Discussion about what we can do about climate change
>     7:45-8:00 Identify facilitator, Note Taker, Vibes Watcher, Time
>     Keeper and Agenda preparer
>                       Intros and announcements. Additions or
>     corrections to agenda.

Facilitator:  Caroline

Notetaker:  Spencer

Agenda preparer:  Sandy Perry

Timekeeper:  John

Vibes Watcher:  Dana

Intros:  Tian, Gerry, Fred D., Lisa,  Josh Gallant, Warner, Dana, Peter
O'Reilly, John, Sandy, Caroline

Drew:  getting a Green party at DeAnza

Sandy:  Working with David Cobb on June 1 & 2 at DeBug training for
Green party organizers

Lisa w. 350siliconvalley.org

>     8:00-8:15 Treasurer's report, hat passing, need for fundraising.
>     --Jim Doyle
>                        HOMEWORK: THINK UP IDEAS FOR FUNDRAISING.
>

>     8:15-8:45  State meeting, June 22-23.

in Napa.

>     Warner will describe it in 10 minutes, explain a
>                         procedural concern   in 5 minutes, help us
>     find delegates and alternates in
>                         10 minutes, and describe our need for a
>     Regional Rep in 5 minutes. (Awesome)

County Council Problem:  We are a County Party.  We have our own bylaws
that go back to 1992, concurrent with the State party. Bylaws have been
amended.  Our County Councils are "normally" the product of an
election.  If we have fewer than 7 candidates for County Council (the
max number), they do not appear on the County ballot.  Recently, no one
collected signatures for a County Council and therefore, the State Party
is saying that we did not collect 20 signatures and therefore Santa
Clara County does NOT have a valid County Council.

       To fix:  We need to create a single piece of paper that lists the
names of all the candidates:  election code The undersigned support and
nominate the above candidates (names and addresses of current Green
party members in Santa Clara County:   Sandy will draft and send it at
least to Spencer, who will put it on the web with an announcement of an
election at the June meeting and will ensure that it gets to others who
can print copies and collect signatures so we have at least 20 required
for us to have a legal election during our June meeting.

STATEWIDE MEETING IN NAPA, JUNE 22-23:

       Go to "www.cagreens.org".  Click "Party" (upper right) ->
"General Assembly" -> "General Assembly:  June 2013" (left, half way
down) -> "Draft Agenda" and "Delegates"

       ** Under Delegates, I read that we are allowed 1 "Automatic seat"
plus 4 "proportional seats" for 5 "total seats".

       We selected the following delegates:  Warner, Caroline, Drew,
Gerry, and Tian;  these are designated as our delegates with Dana and
Debbie as alternates.

IF THIS IS INCORRECT, PLEASE LET US KNOW.

       ** Could someone please check to see what has to happen to get
people officially registered and notify this list?  If the County
Council needs to do something, please let me know what, and I'll make it
happen.

Napa Women's Club:  Registration fee $40 until June 19 or $45 after.

This is the first plenary of the year = a "Budget Plenary": typical:
$20-100K received and spent, not counting ~$20K reserve.

Regional rep:  Last June, the Coordinating Council created a "Standard
General Assembly".  The SGA bylaws changes may have eliminated the
regional rep, but Warner is not sure.

       Warner will need a ride.  Caroline will happily have someone else
drive her car.

Alternate:  Dana.

NEED TO ASK IF ANYONE ELSE WANTS TO BE A DELEGATE.

>     8:45-9:00  What is the Green Shadow Cabinet? Sandy Perry

       * First phone conference tomorrow for the Green Shadow Cabinet
esp. re. Trans Pacific hyper free trade agreement.

>     9:00-9:15 report from Single Payer Health Care Committee.

       * Caroline, Sandy and Jim met with Lynn and Jerry from a single
payer committee.  Planning for an event sometime in September for a
movie followed by a panel including a Green party rep on the panel.

>     9:15-9:30 Tabling/demonstrating opportunities
>                        May 25--March Against Monsanto- 10:30 a.m.,
>     SJSU arch
>                        May 27--Economics for activists class. Peace
>     Center. 7:00 p.m.
>                        May 29-- Day of Action for Climate Change
>     Lytton Plaza, Emerson St.
>                                         and University Ave., Palo
>     Alto. 12::. Details emailed last night.
>                         June 1--Move to Amend Forum with Anna Eshoo on
>     Corporate Personhood.
>     10:30-12:00 Lucie Stern Community Center, Stern Ballroom, 1305
>     Middlefield Ave. Palo Alto.
>                          June 2--Gay Pride event in Santa Cruz.
>     11:00-4:00. Pacific Avenue.
>                          June 6--Protest Obama Fundraiser.
>                           June 15-16--Juneteenth, Jim Doyle.

and Drew.  Tian will help.  Tian will contact Jim, get the cost, and
report to the County Council for a decision.

       Caroline will call Dana and coordinate a date to make swag, then
notify Spencer, who will deliver the Green party material he has.  Dana,
Caroline and others will decide what material is obsolete and should be
recycled and what new material we need including material in Spanish and
Vietnamese.

>                           June 30--Gay Pride Parade, San Francisco

       Resolved:  The Green Party of Santa Clara County supports Bradley
Manning and a nonviolent Gay Pride Parade in San Francisco, including
carpooling to same.

PeaceMovies.com:  $7 for the PeaceMovies book;  half to the Green party.

Citizen funded elections and news?

>     Get a copy of the Metro newspaper. It lists many free concerts,
>     festivals and other special events that happen during the summer.
>     It can be a good source of ideas for places to table, walk around
>     passing out leaflets, "be seen being Green", or just have fun.
>     This was thanks to Valerie.
>     John would like to sell his Peace Movie pamphlets on consignment.
>     We would split the proceeds and he would pay the tax.
>     Anyone wanting to help organize the bushel basketsful of Green
>     Party literature, make schwag,
>     get some literature to pass out, or anything like that, please
>     contact Caroline at 408-530-0118.
>

>     -----Inline Attachment Follows-----

Spencer Graves, PE, PhD
President and Chief Technology Officer