[GPSCC-chat] Fw: Take action for Syria: humanitarian aid

Caroline Yacoub carolineyacoub at att.net
Mon Nov 4 18:52:30 PST 2013

----- Forwarded Message -----
From: RootsAction Team <info at rootsaction.org>
To: carolineyacoub at att.net
Sent: Monday, November 4, 2013 8:23 AM
Subject: Take action for Syria: humanitarian aid

Share this action on Facebook
Share this action on Twitter

The recent outpouring of public opposition to firing missiles into Syria was one of the most wonderful upsurges of activism that the world has seen in quite a while.

We see the suffering, most Americans told pollsters, but we want to send food and medicine, not missiles or guns.

Click here to tell the U.N., Congress and President Obama that we haven't forgotten about Syria -- and the people of that country need much more aid now.

We stopped the missiles, but we haven't stopped the guns flowing into Syria from the U.S. government under the label of"military aid."

And we haven't sent humanitarian aid at nearly the levels required.More people are at risk of death and suffering because of this aid failure than were likely to be killed by the missiles.

Doctors Without Borders has raised an alarm, reporting in mid-October that “Syrian people are now presented with the absurd situation of chemical weapons inspectors driving freely through areas in desperate need, while ambulances, and food and drug supplies organized by humanitarian organizations, are blocked."

And the medical group added: "Influential countries gathered around a table, thrashed out an agreement on chemical weapons, and put it into practice. They have shown that such mobilization can be achieved. So where are the efforts to repeat this success with the burning issue of access for humanitarian aid?"

Click to send this message now: More food and medicine! No more guns and ammunition!

Thousands of Syrian refugees are being accepted by European governments. Since the conflict began two and a half years ago, the United States has granted asylum to fewer than 100 Syrian refugees. The U.S. government has made special provisions to open its doors to asylum seekers from some countries and could do so for Syria.

In late summer, advocates of missile strikes against Syria were claiming all sorts of humanitarian intentions. More quietly, the weapons and other military supplies now being shipped into Syria are touted as having humanitarian purposes. But what about bolstering aid to help the huge number of Syrians in desperate need of food, medicine, clothing and shelter?

Tell the U.S. government to help Syrians in need by clicking here.

We CAN make this happen if we find the same intensity that we found weeks ago in preventing missile strikes.

Please forward this email to everyone who might possibly take a moment to help.

-- The RootsAction.org team

P.S. RootsAction is an independent online force endorsed by Jim Hightower, Barbara Ehrenreich, Cornel West, Daniel Ellsberg, Glenn Greenwald, Naomi Klein, Bill Fletcher Jr., Laura Flanders, former U.S. Senator James Abourezk, Coleen Rowley, Frances Fox Piven, and many others.

P.P.S. This work is only possible with your financial support. Please donate.

Background:
Doctors Without Borders: Where's Urgency Over Humanitarian Aid to Syria?
Truthout: Syria: From Refugees to Asylum Seekers
Polling Results on Syria
www.RootsAction.org

Click here to unsubscribe and stop ALL email from RootsAction.