[GPSCC-chat] Derek's AlJazeera interview today

Drew rainbeaufriend at riseup.net
Mon Nov 18 21:20:19 PST 2013

Subject: [dagreenparty] Derek's AlJazeera interview today
From:    "Drew" <rainbeaufriend at riseup.net>
Date:    Mon, November 18, 2013 6:16 pm
To:      "dagreenparty" <dagreenparty at lists.riseup.net>

Subject: My AlJazeera interview today
To: DerekT at RiseUp.net
Date:    Mon, November 18, 2013 4:29 pm

Hi!
Following our March to Heal the Valley last month, we decided on a program
of *Moral Mondays* during which, on the third Monday of the month, we
would gather at the entrance to Apple World Headquarters over the lunch
hour and ask that Apple begin to pay a fair share of taxes to help those
in our county who need help. I did two radio interviews for broadcast
today about our event, KGO and KCBS, and an interview with AlJazeera as
part of a documentary they are making about a security guard struggling to
live in this high-cost location on what is barely more than the minimum
wage.
I recorded audio of two of the interviews on my *Samsung* phone.  I make
that distinction, as the interview you can hear makes reference to that in
the very beginning (the interviewer mentions she has an Apple phone). She
also mentions my shoes, which are Vibram Five Fingers, the T-shirt I wear
that says *I May Be Illegal* to spark a conversation about racism, and the
small model tent I bring to these events: it is about a foot high and a
foot across, made for camping displays. Here I present the Aljazeera
interview. The interview starts in earnest at the 3 minute mark.
http://derekjoetennant.net/aljazeera%2018nov.wav

www.derekjoetennant.net

Each day the first day.
Each day a life.
Each morning we must hold out the chalice of our being
to receive, to carry, and give back.
It must be held out empty—
for the past must only be reflected
in its polish, its shape, its capacity.