[GPSCC-chat] GPSCC Minutes, Thursday Nov 21st

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at prodsyse.com
Fri Nov 22 16:28:16 PST 2013

Please post additions, corrections, comments, to this list.

7:30 meeting starts: SelectFacilitator,Note taker,Time keeper,andVibes
watcher(s);SelectAgendaPreparerfor next meeting;Affirmor
modifydraftagenda(5 Minutes)

facilitator:  Caroline

Note taker:  Spencer

time keeper:  Caroline

Vibes watcher:

agenda preparer for the next meeting:  Sandy

>> IntroductionsandAnnouncements(10Minutes)

Caroline Yacoub:

Andrea Dorey

Michael "Pirate" Mike Clift, occupirate at gmail.com,
occupyveteranssanfrancisco.weebly.com
# OVSF (observer, bay area organizer, Veterans for Peace activist,
visiting)

James D. Cartmill, occupy1Liberty at gmail.com,
independentcitizenmedia.weebly.com
#ICM3 #OSFTV #occupySFTV (independent journalist and freedom fighter,
visiting -- independent citizen media)

        * Mike & James are carrying a Veterans for Peace (VFP) flag
across America for peace and to eliminate veterans' homelessness.

Brian Good

Sandy Perry -

Spencer Graves

>> Treasurer'sReport-- JimDoyle(5 minutes)

Holiday Peace Fair - Caroline Yacoub (10 minutes)

       2nd Saturday in December:

>> Report on status of P. O. Box -- Continued from September meeting --
>> Tian Harter
>> (5 minutes)
>> Report on November 16-17^th Santa Rosa GPCA Plenary --
>> Plenary Delegates (20Minutes)

Andrea:  If you are a candidate, you cannot be a spokesperson for the
Green Party.

Brian (and Sandy):  Brian went to Candidate & Campaign working group.
Barry _______ gave a pitch to the working group but spent little time
with the Plenary otherwise.  He gave a good pitch about calling people
to getting signatures for the gubernatorial and other statewide
candidates.  He suggested getting a list from the Secretary of State.
The forms for that will be sent to us  on Dec. 28 -- will be on-line at
the Green Party web site.  Must organize the effort:  Must collect
10,000 signatures between Dec. 27 and Feb. 20.  (Sandy)

       The final item was Mike's proposal, but Brian couldn't understand
it.

Sandy:  Finance Group.  + Issues group.  They want a Green Shadow
Cabinet for the State.  One guy promoted Community Choice Aggregation.
Plenary votes:  Warner's objections regarding the agenda were overruled.

>> Discussion and Proposal to Instruct GPSCC Standing General Assembly
>> Delegates re voting for GPCA endorsements of state office candidates
>> -- Spencer Graves (15 minutes)
>> Notes:Current plans are for SGA delegates to vote on GPCA endorsement
>> of GPCA state office candidates during the week immediately following
>> the Plenary.This meeting will be the last GPSCC general meeting before
>> the voting period ends November 24th.The GPSCC SGA delegates are:
>> Jim Doyle, Drew Johnson, John Thielking, Betsy Wolf-Graves and
>> Spencer Graves.

SUMMARY:  There is only one option for each of items 31-33 and 35-37.
Those options all seem sensible, and the group agreed to instruct our
SGA delegates to vote for that option.  Item 34 was candidates for
Governor.  People had questions and concerns about both candidates.
There was a consensus for letting the SGA delegates decide for
themselves, with a suggestion to perhaps vote first for Rodriguez,
second for nobody, and third for Alexander. Alexander got such poor
support, because someone said he had officially run before but had not
campaigned:  If you are going to ask people to spend time collecting
signatures to get your name on the ballot, etc., you must campaign.

> ID 31 - Election: Coordinating Committee, one female seat, November
> 2013 - June 2015:  There is only one candidate:  Margaret Elysia
> Garcia
> (www.cagreens.org/committees/coordinating/election-bios/2013-11/garcia
> <http://www.cagreens.org/committees/coordinating/election-bios/2013-11/garcia>).
> The options are her, "No other candidate", write in, or abstain.  I
> recommend we vote for her.
>

> ID 32 - Election: Coordinating Committee, one male seat, November 2013
> - June 2015:  There is only one candidate:  Shamako Noble
> (www.cagreens.org/committees/coordinating/election-bios/2013-11/noble
> <http://www.cagreens.org/committees/coordinating/election-bios/2013-11/noble>).
> The options are as before.  I recommend we vote for him.
>

> ID 33 - GPCA position on California Cannabis Hemp Initiative 2014:
> The options are to endorse, take no position, oppose, or abstain.  I
> recommend we vote first to endorse and second for no position.
>

> ID 34 - GPCA endorsement for Governor in June 2014 primary election:
> There are two candidates:  Deacon Alexander
> (www.cagreens.org/elections/2014/statewide-candidate-questionnaire-deacon-alexander-governor
> <http://www.cagreens.org/elections/2014/statewide-candidate-questionnaire-deacon-alexander-governor>)
> and Luis Rodriguez
> (www.cagreens.org/elections/2014/statewide-candidate-questionnaire-luis-rodriguez-governor
> <http://www.cagreens.org/elections/2014/statewide-candidate-questionnaire-luis-rodriguez-governor>).
> We have five SGA delegates, and we can instruct them to vote
> differently.  In this case, my inclination is to instruct 3 of our
> delegate to vote for Rodriguez first and Alexander second and the
> other 2 delegates to vote the opposite.  However, I could easily be
> persuaded otherwise.

Deacon Alexander ran before but did not run a campaign.

Luis Rodriguez at one time was trying to run as a candidate for both the
Greens and Peace & Freedom.  Sandy will stand aside regarding Luis.  But
we look bad if we don't have a candidate.

We let the SGA make up their own minds, prefer that at least some abstain.

All others:  We support the single option.

>       * Longer term, I think we should work to recruit exactly one
> candidate to run for different offices while coordinating with other
> third parties under a slogan like, "Vote -- but not for bribery."
>

>       * For next year, what do you think about working with the League
> of Women Voters and other third parties to organize a series of
> debates for offices that rarely get much attention in the media these
> days?  I think we can help build the party and generate more interest
> in the primary -- and our candidates -- by helping organize such
> debates.  We need also a good outreach program, notifying the media of
> the events, inviting all candidates for a given office, using an empty
> chair for any who do not show, and using on-line resources like
> "Ballotopedia" to summarize the kind of people who should vote for
> each candidate or initiative.
>

> ID 35 - GPCA endorsement for Secretary of State in June 2014 primary
> election:  One candidate:  David Curtis
> (www.cagreens.org/elections/2014/statewide-candidate-questionnaire-david-curtis-secretary-state
> <http://www.cagreens.org/elections/2014/statewide-candidate-questionnaire-david-curtis-secretary-state>)
>

> ID 36 - GPCA endorsement for Treasurer in June 2014 primary election:
> One candidate:  Ellen Brown
> (www.cagreens.org/elections/2014/statewide-candidate-questionnaire-ellen-brown-treasurer
> <http://www.cagreens.org/elections/2014/statewide-candidate-questionnaire-ellen-brown-treasurer>)
>

> ID 37 - GPCA endorsement for Controller in June 2014 primary
> election:  Laura Wells
> (www.cagreens.org/elections/2014/statewide-candidate-questionnaire-laura-wells-controller
> <http://www.cagreens.org/elections/2014/statewide-candidate-questionnaire-laura-wells-controller>)
>

>> Proposal regarding GPSCC endorsements of local candidates -- Spencer
>> Graves (15 minutes) -- Continued from October meeting; see text of
>> proposal following these agenda proposals
>> Health Care Committee Report -- (10Minutes):

       There was a great Downtown Health Fair on Oct. 25 with Supv.
Cortese.  Got many cards signed for HR 676.  The Board of Supervisors
has been on record for a long time supporting Single Payer.  Simitian
wants to rediscuss this endorsement of Single Payer.

>> Environment Committee Report --(10 Minutes)

       Derek (?) expressed concern about whether there may be some
problems in 350.org.

       350.org has managed to mobilize people all over this planet.
Caroline is very supportive of 350 Silicon Valley. Nobody is perfect.
350 Silicon Valley has good people and many good ideas.

>> Report from Jr. Statesman November 16^th (5 Minutes)

        Caroline said this as the best attended Junior State in over 10
years.  We had 3 tables: One was for making buttons.  That was the best
table in the house, from Caroline's perspective.  One of the other
tablers registered Green.  The kids weren't old enough to vote but asked
good questions & wanted to talk.  There from 1:05 to after 5 PM.  Jim
and John came.  Caroline ran the button machine.  Jr. State is the most
fun.  $1 for a button -- made $42 (gave away 4 at the beginning).

>> Discussionofstatusoftablingsupplies-- (10 Minutes)

       Caroline needs help from Drew to find some of the tabling supplies.

       We need tabling materials on climate change.

       Brian can try to print Donkey fliers
(www.cagreens.org/santaclara/resources/flyers/donkey.pdf
<http://www.cagreens.org/santaclara/resources/flyers/donkey.pdf>)

       Caroline would also like something like
"http://www.theguardian.com/environment/interactive/2013/nov/20/which-fossil-fuel-companies-responsible-climate-change-interactive".
Brian will look into how to make a poster of this for Caroline.

>> Plan forTabling-- Need to identify event coordinators -- (15Minutes)

Sandy: Tabling weekly at DeAnza.  As of yesterday, there is now an
official Green Party Club at DeAnza.

>> Downtown Health Fair October 25th
>> Holiday Peace Fair December 14^th
>> Others?
>> Proposal re GPSCC blog -- Spencer Graves
>> (10 Minutes)Continued from October Meeting; see text proposal below
>>
>> (2HoursEstimatedCumulativeTimes.Goal:Adjournby 9:30pm)
>> ###
>> Spencer Graves Proposal re GPSCC local candidates endorsements.Prop
>> 14 has in essence transformed the primary into the only election for
>> minor parties.We can appear on the general election ballot only if we
>> come in first or second in the primary.That strongly
>> encouragesparties other than the top two to coordinate with one
>> another to the maximum extent that their membership will allow....

No.  We might negotiate cross endorsement with the Peace & Freedom
party.  However the ideological gap with other parties (esp.
Libertarians) is too great.

--
Spencer Graves, PE, PhD
President and Chief Technology Officer