[GPSCC-chat] Zoe Lofgren's Office Protest Thursday 4-5PM

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at structuremonitoring.com
Tue Sep 3 22:05:03 PDT 2013

       Thanks, John, for this.

       Zoe may be officially undecided, but she signed two different
letters reminding Obama that he does NOT have the authority to attack
Syria without explicit authorization from Congress.  One of these
letters states essentially that the decision to use force in Libya was
unconstitutional.  Reading between the lines, this suggests to me (and I
hope to Obama) that if he goes into Syria and it turns into a mess
(which it most likely will), he could convince enough Democrats to join
with most Republicans to approve articles of Impeachment in the House
and convict in the Senate;  see
"http://lofgren.house.gov/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=825:zoe-on-the-crisis-in-syria-the-us-constitution-and-the-war-powers-resolution&catid=41:of-note-content&Itemid=160".

       I agree that protesting and lobbying Zoe and other members of the
House and Senate is wise.  Boxer and Feinstein have both stated support
for intervention.  A recent poll indicated 56% opposed, 19% for with 25%
undecided
(http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/09/03/us-syria-crisis-usa-idUSBRE97T0NB20130903).
Boxer and Feinstein should know that if US involvement in Syria produces
seriously negative results, it could be trouble for them.

       Best Wishes,
       Spencer

p.s.  You may be interested in my blog on Syria if you haven't seen it
already
(https://sites.google.com/site/effectivedefenseorg/blog/intervening-in-syria).

On 9/3/2013 9:40 PM, John Thielking wrote:
> All,
>
> There will be a protest against the impending US war against Syria in
> front of Zoe Lofgren's office this Thursday September 5, 2013 from
> 4PM-5PM.  The office is located at 635 N 1st Street, San Jose, CA.
> Zoe Lofgren is undecided on how to vote on the war resolution
> concerning Syria, though she sympathizes with Sam Farr who is going to
> vote against it. We need to show her that we are serious. Thank you.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> John Thielking

Spencer Graves, PE, PhD
President and Chief Technology Officer